8 Signs You're A Southern Belle Stuck Up North

8 Signs You're A Southern Belle Stuck In The North

They don't have sweet tea, y'all.

24

If you're anything like me, you were born and raised in the south, but now have made your way up north for something like school or work. Being a southern belle up north is a weird experience that comes with little quirks that are hard to explain to people who have lived up north their whole life. Here are 8 signs you're a southern belle stuck up north.

1. Everyone moves so quick.

media.giphy.com

For some reason, people up north move very quick. They always seem to be in a rush to get from one place to the next. Down south everyone likes to take their time and smell the roses along the way. Also, if anyone moves too quick down south, we'd die of heat exhaustion.

2. There’s no sweet tea.

media.giphy.com

If you go out to eat up north and order a sweet tea, you get the unfortunate news that they don't have sweet tea, but they can bring you unsweet tea and sugar. That's not the same thing. Or, if they do happen to have sweet tea, they're lying and it's unsweet tea with a hint of sugar in it.

3. Manners are an oddity.

media.giphy.com

I'm not saying that people up north don't have manners, they just have different manners. Like if you hold the door open for someone, they probably won't say thank you, but not because they're rude, but because they just don't do that.

4. Everyone has something to say about your accent.

media.giphy.com

When the drawl comes out, someone always has something to say. Most of the time, they just point out the fact that you have a southern accent, like you didn't know that. And sometimes they ask a lot of questions.

5. Everyone has something to say about your words.

media.giphy.com

Whether it be "yes ma'am" or even just a simple "y'all," someone has something to say about your words. People think you're calling them rude when you call them "ma'am" or "sir," or people think you're uneducated because you use "y'all" and "ain't."

6. The lack of southern style.

media.giphy.com

Like it or not, the south has a very particular way of dressing. While people across the country where boots and jeans, the north just lacks some of the south's style. Where is the Lily Pulitzer? Or the Simply Southern? Sometimes you can't even find someone in a Vineyard Vines shirt.

7. You laugh when people complain about the summer weather.

media.giphy.com

Don't get me wrong, it does get a little toasty up north, but it is sort of funny to hear people talk about how sweltering it is outside when you come from the land of 105 degrees with 90 % humidity.

8. People laugh at you when you complain about the winter weather.

media.giphy.com

Just like you think they're funny for complaining about their summer weather, they think you're funny for complaining about their winter weather. But why is it 30 degrees in October?

While you may not be "trapped" up north, it may be a bit of an adjustment to living up there and sometimes you might have to take a trip down south for a big glass of real sweet tea.