Sorority Starter Kit

Sorority Starter Kit

A breakdown of nine of the largest sororities in the nation and their reputations.

147
Sorority Starter Kit
Daily Mail

While going about my day, I received a text from a younger friend in high school (recently graduated) asking me for sorority advice. Instead of texting her an encyclopedia of knowledge gathered from time being parented by two affiliated parents (and a whole family mind that), going through recruitment in California yet growing up with Southern expectations of the recruitment process and participating in the Panhellenic Council (for my newbie sorority friend, this is basically the governing group for all sororities we see today) myself, I decided a smarter idea would be to share some of the facts I’ve learned with the rest of the Class of 2020. Please note that this list only concerns 9 of the 26 sororities within the council. I’ve selected the ones I’ve grown up most around and personally know the most people in. The numbering isn’t a ranking but goes in order from the amount of family/friends I have in each one. Also the “Known for” is literally from a website which I’m linking and is not my personal opinion.

Chi Omega (ΧΩ) (Gotta put one’s own first!!)

Founded: University of Arkansas 1895

Symbols: The Skull & Crossbones, the Owl, Diamonds & Pearls & White Carnations

Olympus Representation: Demeter

Colors: Cardinal & Straw

Philanthropy: The Make-a-Wish Foundation

Famous Alumnae: Lucy Liu, Joanne Woodward, Catt Sadler, Harper E. Lee

Known For: “Sweet, involved and classy”

Delta Delta Delta (ΔΔΔ) (Legacy my momma's!)

Founded: Boston University 1888

Symbols: The Dolphin, Pearl, Pine and Pansy

Olympus Representation: Poseidon

Colors: Silver, Gold & Cerulean Blue

Philanthropy: St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital

Famous Alumnae: Farrah Fawcett, Elizabeth Banks, Jodi Benson, Katie Couric

Known For: “Service-oriented, charismatic and a good sense of humor”

Alpha Delta Pi (ΑΔΠ) (My other legacy, thx grandma)

Founded: Wesleyan College 1851

Symbols: The Lion, Violets & Diamonds

Colors: Azure & White

Philanthropy: Ronald McDonald House Charities

Famous Alumnae: Kathy Bates, Nancy Grace, McKey Sullivan, Kate Capshaw

Known for: “Southern, down-to-earth and exclusive”

Phi Mu (ΦΜ) (Other legacy!)

Founded: Wesleyan College 1852

Symbols: Rose Carnation, Lions & the Quatrefoil

Colors: Rose & White

Philanthropy: Children’s Miracle Network Hospitals

Famous Alumnae: Kathryn Stockett, Dana Ivey, Rachel Reilly, Mary Wickes

Known for: “Southern, sassy and girly”

Kappa Kappa Gamma (ΚΚΓ) (Lots of family!)

Founded: Monmouth College 1870

Symbols: The Key, Fleur-de-lis, Owls & Sapphires

Olympus Representation: Minerva

Colors: Dark Blue & Light Blue

Philanthropy: Reading is Fundamental

Famous Alumnae: Ashley Judd, Sophia Bush, Greer Grammer, Mariska Hargitay

Known for: “Popular, social and involved”

Pi Beta Phi (ΠΒΦ) (Cousins & closest friends)

Founded: Monmouth College 1867

Symbols: Arrows, Angels & White Carnations

Colors: Wine & Silver Blue

Philanthropy: Read>Lead>Achieve

Famous Alumnae: Jennifer Garner

Known for: “Pretty, fun and supportive”

Kappa Delta (ΚΔ) (My best friends back home)

Founded: Longwood University, 1897

Symbols: Dagger, Shells, White Roses & Emeralds

Colors: Olive Green & Pearl White

Philanthropy: Girls Scouts of America

Famous Alumnae: Brooke Anderson, Ali Landry, Georgia O’Keefe, Leigh Anne Roberts Tuohy

Known For: “Southern, diverse and outgoing”

Alpha Omicron Pi (ΑΟΠ)

Founded: Barnard College 1897

Symbols: The Panda, Roses, Rubies and a Sheaf

Color: Cardinal

Philanthropy: Arthritis Research and Education

Famous Alumnae: Catherine Mackin, Ashley Crow, Parvati Shallow, Natalie White

Known For: “Easy-going, sweet and funny”

Delta Gamma (ΔΓ)

Founded: Lewis School for Girls 1873

Symbols: Cream-colored Rose & Anchor

Colors: Bronze, Pink & Blue

Philanthropy: Service for Sight

Famous Alumnae: Ann Coulter, Julia Louis-Dreyfus, Sabrina Bryan, Samantha Harris

Known For: “Classy, sporty and preppy”

Happy rush!