To The Girls Unsure Of Sorority Recruitment

It's about being a part of something bigger than yourself.

29
Alli Aldridge

This upcoming year, girls all over the country will put on their best and flaunt their personalities, holding onto the chance that they will find their home away from home. Some girls are dead set on either rushing while others are planning on not participating in any Greek Life at all.

That's fine.

But, I ask that if you have ever had the slightest thought of joining a sorority that you give me your ears, eyes and heart as you read this article. Take it all in.

Naturally, as a girl who is absolutely in love with her sorority and the Panhellenic community as a whole, I always tell girls why recruitment is one of the most fulfilling things you can do for yourself within your college journey. Yes, I know that you're thinking about every negative thing you've ever heard about Greek Life. I cannot blame you for questioning it, because I did too. I was so reluctant about the "aftermath" of accepting a bid. What is it really like? I am a member of Alpha Delta Pi, first and finest. I've only been a member for about a year and I can tell you that even in that short amount of time, the experience is indescribable. I can attest that for my situation, nothing really changed. I walked into ADPi during recruitment and felt the love these girls had for one another and still today, whether I'm walking up to a table of a couple sisters or the entire chapter, I still get that same feeling. Recruitment counselors are always preaching "you'll know if you're home" or "it always works out" and truly for most people, it does and the conclusion is amazing.

The media loves to bash sororities and fraternities for every little bad thing that occurs. I'm in no way shape or form defending crimes committed by some, but the actions of a few should not impact the innocent others. What is never discussed is how much Greeks do for their communities. We take our philanthropy and making a difference very seriously. With the endless number of community service hours,and the variety of opportunities to hold leadership positions. Greek Life teaches you how to become an adult. It provides a support system that will not only last through college, but for the rest of your life. You learn about financial responsibility and time management. Your sisters or brothers will make sure you keep your grades up and study for your tests. You will always have someone to sit with at dinner, and there will be dozens of late night runs to Target or Taco Bell.

I have met girls who have not only been my shoulder to cry on, but have been the ones to celebrate all of my successes with. Do not believe the stereotypes, because they are not all true. Do not let movies keep you from finding such quality friendships that personally, I never really thought existed. Nothing can really ever describe this life changing opportunity, you just have to experience it yourself. If you don't rush because of hesitations, you are missing out on one of the greatest things college has to offer. You are denying yourself the opportunity to give back. To grow as a person. To feel a sense of belonging. To share something precious and sacred with others. Sisterhood is not something to be made a joke of; it's a strong force founded by sororities. And in a world like today, we need all the girl power we can get.

It all does not make sense from the outside but I encourage you to go and find out for yourself. Take a stand, enhance the person you've always been and find your people.

I did. I found my people and it instantly enriched every aspect of my life.

Dedicated to my home and my people:

Alpha Delta Pi - Zeta Psi at the University of North Carolina at Greensboro.