Greek Life

First of all, let me give a disclaimer. A lot of sororities do a lot of great things. From charity work to just making girls feel welcome, a lot of sorority girls do a lot of super cool stuff.

Some people feel the most at home in their sororities, but that just isn't for me. The college that I go to has a pretty big selection of Greek life.

It seems like everywhere I turn there's a new group of girls sporting their sorority gear. I wanted to be one of these sorority girls before coming into college. I wanted to hang out with and meet all new people.

I wanted sisterhood and I wanted to act goofy have fun with a group of girls my age. I signed up for recruitment about a month before school started, and dropped out the morning of the first day of recruitment.

I messaged the girl that I was in contact with telling her that I was no longer interested and she pressured the hell out of me. She asked me why I had a change of heart, and after telling her continued to try to force me to rush.

That's a no from me. I then rushed for a smaller sorority later in the year. I tried it out, and was just uncomfortable and felt out of place. It seems like everyone I know is in a sorority as well as peers and family alike asking me why I'm not in one.

Here's 5 reason why I said no to Greek life

Yikes! That's a lot of money!

If you have the money and want to be in a sorority, by all means, go for it. I was excited to rush, but when I saw that hefty price tag I started getting second thoughts. I felt like I could be doing so much more with that money.

Personally, I just couldn't afford Greek life and it's sad that a lot of people who want to be apart of it can't for financial reasons alone.

I'm Not the Biggest Partier 

Sure, I've been to my fair share of parties, but they kind of scare me not going to lie.

I'm just going to state the obvious and say that a lot of people are drawn to Greek life because of the parties. Sure I like to sit back with my friends and get a little tipsy, but parties just aren't my thing.

It's a lot of time too

I'll admit it, I'm not the best at time management. If you are, more props to you. Greek life events are A LOT of time, and I'd rather spend that time doing anything else if I'm being honest.

Super Selective?

Let's face it, when you see people in a sorority they're always pretty. It also is strange to me that you're chosen to be in an organization just based on a few conversations.

A group of girls decides if they like you based on basically first impression, and it takes me a bit to open up, so that would just be a confidence killer for me.

I really don't like being fake nice

Sometimes you don't like people, it's normal. The idea of pretending to like someone and call them my "sister" that I absolutely can't stand just makes my stomach turn.

So ladies, maybe if you're on the fence about Greek life this article may help you. Greek life can be great, but it really isn't for everyone and definitely isn't for me.