What Not Being in a Sorority Means to Me

This Is What NOT Being In A Sorority Means To Me

Sorority life just isn't for everyone, and that is okay.

Cassidy
Cassidy
1159

Before I came to college, I had the mindset that I was going to join a sorority, and that it would be like everything from what I have seen in the movies.

I ended up participating in sorority recruitment and ended up dropping out of it on the second to last day. Sorority life just was not the same as I had thought it would be. It has a lot of fees and rules and I felt at that time really upset that I was not in a house but at the same time I was pretty relieved. Then came the time that all the freshman girls in my dorm hall went to their bid day events and got to meet their big sisters, and I was honestly upset that I hadn't have joined a house, yet so much has changed from then to now.

Now I am in my junior year and honestly, I am very content that I never joined a sorority.

As the years went on, I just realized that Greek life was not for me and that I really do not like the system as a whole. The woman and men in Greek life both have very different rules they have to abide by and I just saw the whole system as pretty unfair for the woman in it. Also, there are very different prices that each gender has to pay to be in a house, where men have to pay a lot less.

The main reason I am happy I did not end up in a sorority is that I have made so many amazing college friends without being in a house, and I think that not being in a house made me more outgoing, in general.

I made tons of friends by living in the dorms, and as the years progressed, I really felt more comfortable reaching out to people in my classes and being more open and outgoing in my everyday life. I also feel that I have more free time to do the things I actually love to do without having the weight of an additional commitment on my back, because being in a sorority, from what I have seen from my friends in houses, is a huge time commitment. Since I have decided to not be in a house, I have started to look into other things like traveling, and I have had much more time to focus on my main passion, which is writing.

This being said, even though sorority life is not for me, that doesn't mean it isn't for everyone and I have lots of friends who really enjoy it.

If you love being in a house then enjoy being in one, and if you aren't in a house, don't be discouraged because it just might not be your thing. Whatever you do though just make sure to enjoy your time in college, and make it the best time you can.