No, I'm Not in a Sorority

No, I'm Not In A Sorority

At a big university like Syracuse, Greek life is a normalized life style. When you're not involved, it can feel isolating.

clareleo
clareleo
2380

Warning: Do not read if you are easily offended by slight criticism on Social Greek Life.

Upon meeting a new person at school, the conversation-starter-questions go as followed and without fail: "What's your name? What year are you? What house are you in?"

As a non-Greek life affiliated girl, this quick assumption that I have to be in a sorority is, frankly, annoying. The assumptions made about you when you reveal that you don't pay absurd amounts of money to meet others and have scheduled parties figured out for you are even more bothersome.

I am automatically viewed a certain way. When I tell girls I am unassociated with Greek life, a look of pity takes over their face.

A short and shocking statement: Not everyone wants to rush your, or any, sorority! I could if I wanted to, but I simply do not. The notion that my college experience is immediately less fun or valuable is a crude assumption.

I understand the fact that everyone feels a need to find "their people." If your way is paying thousands of dollars and becoming "sisters" with the girls that treated you less than human during your pledge process, by all means, have at it! That being said, do not judge or automatically make assumptions about me because I chose to find my people and passions in a different way.

There is a certain exclusivity many members of Greek life possess. For those uninvolved, it can be isolating. You see your friends go off to planned parties with others that were hand-picked by the members the year above them. They are handed a group of girls and immediately have this set of "sisters" they flock to.

That being said, I'm sure sororities do have their pros. That doesn't mean everyone wants to join one. That doesn't mean I am any less of a Syracuse University student because I am not involved. In my opinion, your identity should not be synonymous with a "house."

Girls: you are more than those letters.

Boys: you are more than the greatness of the parties you throw on Friday nights.

Do not make anyone feel less because they don't feel the desire to give a part of their life to a sorority or fraternity.