Sooners Too Strong For Oklahoma State

Sooners Too Strong For Oklahoma State

Cowboys Routed in Bedlam

5
Sooners Too Strong For Oklahoma State

Bedlam was more than just a rivalry game this year; it was the game that would crown the winner of the Big 12. With both teams being in the top 15, everyone expected this to be a classic, intense game, but that was not the case. The Sooners routed the Cowboys 58-23 to win the Big 12 and seemingly clinch a playoff birth. The Sooners were simply too much for the Cowboys to handle.

Usual starting quarterback Mason Rudolph was out with an apparent leg injury, so that led to J.W. Walsh starting on his senior night. The fan-favorite quarterback had a good game for his first start of the year, going 25-42 for 325 yards and two touchdowns. Rudolph did enter the game for one series, but went 0-3 with an interception that was returned for a touchdown. The rushing struggles continued for the Cowboys, with Chris Carson having only 38 rushing yards to lead all running backs. Receiver James Washington had himself a day with 169 receiving yards on only seven receptions and a touchdown. His 169 yards led all receivers Saturday. The offense was able to start off strong, but could not keep up with the Sooners' explosive offense.

The defensive struggles continued and Oklahoma was able to take advantage. The defense was not able to force any turnovers and that was a big factor in the outcome of the game. By only forcing three total punts and no turnovers, the defense was on their heels the entire game. Sooner quarterback Baker Mayfield definitely increased his Heisman chances with 257 total yards and three total touchdowns. Running backs Samaje Perine and Joe Mixon torched the Cowboy defense with over 130 rushing yards each and both had two touchdowns. The defense again allowed over 500 yards of total offense and has some work to do before the bowl game.

The Cowboys were able to end their regular season with a 10-2 record and tie for second in the Big 12. Despite these past two losses, it was still a great season for the Cowboys, as they did better than almost everyone expected. They have a chance to become 11-2 if they can win whichever bowl game they are put in to.