Some Must-Haves For Online School Because Miss Rona Took Over The World

Stay safe! Enjoy Zoom University!

13

I've been taking online classes all summer and I feel like I've learned a few tips and tricks along the way. This list is pretty basic, but I wanted it to just have the essentials.

A consistent place to work

media.giphy.com

Having all of your coursework in one place and readily available makes sure that you can be the most productive as you can. Whether it's a desk, a designated seat at the dining room or kitchen table, the floor, or even outside, having a place to call yours will help you do your best. If you have to work from your bed, maybe try to position yourself perpendicular to the way you normally sleep, just so that it feels a little different.

Technology

media.giphy.com

This one is fairly obvious, you need technology to do online school. It doesn't have to be super expensive. Here's an article that shows some affordable options. It just has to work.

Planner & Calendar

media.giphy.com

Since you are the only one keeping yourself accountable, remembering deadlines and keeping your life organized is super important during online school. If you're a fan of online planners and calendars, Notion and Google Calendar are my personal favorites. This year, I'm doing a bullet journal with a planner that I designed myself. (I had a lot of time this year) Whatever works for you.

Easy Meals & Snacks

media.giphy.com

Just because we're glued to our computers all day, doesn't mean that we have more time. Some people meal-prep their lunch, even when they're home. If you keep things around for salads and sandwiches for lunches, you're less likely to want to Postmates something. My go-to's are granola bars, bananas, berries, and crackers.

Set Working Hours

media.giphy.com

This one might be tough. I'm the kind of person that wants all their work done ASAP so I can watch Netflix, FaceTime with friends, or just do whatever I want. So, I'm trying something new this semester. I'm trying to only work between 10 am and 4 pm on most days. Some days that's impossible: I have a night class on Tuesdays that runs until 9 pm. But for the rest of the workweek, I'm going to see if I can maximize my productivity by giving myself a time limit. Try it, maybe you're a night owl and you do most of your work between 6 pm and midnight. The beauty of online school is that we have so much more flexibility. Take advantage of it.

Open Communication With Your Professors

media.giphy.com

Since we can't physically see our professors, making sure that there are open lines of communication between professors and ourselves is super important. If you need an extension, extra clarification, you have a problem, ask your professors. Don't be afraid to take charge of your education; ask all the questions. It's your life and your education, so make the most of it.

This pretty much sums up everything that I think will make online school a little easier. It's not ideal, obviously. But, Miss Rona really threw the world off, so I'm trying to make the most of it. Good luck at online school!