We're A Society That Is Obsessed With The Zombie Apocalypse

Rethink the facts if you thought you'd survive.

64
Flickr Creative Commons

From TV shows like "The Walking Dead," video games like "The Last of Us" and the real-life news story of someone who had been using bath salts and then later took a bite out of a helpless man, entertainment and news never seems to lack content on the subject of zombies.

Although we may not realize it, zombies are a central part of our society. While many people find the idea of zombies horrifying, there are plenty of us that are absolutely fascinated by them.

So if a zombie apocalypse did really happen, you may be wondering about your chances of survival. Well, let's just say they aren't awesome. According to research done by astronomy and physics students at the University of Leicester, with nearly all factors that could be calculated taken into account, you have roughly a .0088 probability of surviving just a mere 1,000 days; which is 88 people still alive for every 10,000 that were.

Mind you, that statistic only applies to you if you are going to be fairly skilled in fighting back; so really, your probability is most likely lower.

Now the real question isn't whether or not you'd survive, but why are we all obsessed with finding that out anyway? Does that world really sound ideal enough to imagine yourself in?

For me personally, it's not the idea of zombies themselves that gets me interested in the subject. Rather it is the post-apocalyptic atmosphere. Being on your own, walking down a deserted road with nothing but a backpack strapped to your shoulders. Everything around you is green as the plants and trees have grown freely without human interference. There are deserted cars and houses that all tell stories of people whom you'll never meet, never even know the fate of.

Whenever I watch a show or play a video game related to zombies, those are the type of things I focus on.

I'm sure there are plenty of people out there that would enjoy the fight of such a situation as well. However, what's worse than daydreaming about a zombie apocalypse is the fact that so many people think that's where our future is headed.

Perhaps not specifically zombies, but the mass destruction of the world in some way with the crumbling of society seems to be a common look at what our future holds.

Luckily for most of us, imagining a zombie apocalypse as the future places most of us on a "fighting for survival" side. The good thing to keep in mind here is that even if you imagine impending doom, you have the positivity of being willing to fight for whatever you can to get past it which is a great quality to have.

So maybe you are just waiting for the zombie apocalypse to see how long you'd survive -- remember that 88 survivors out of 10,000 stat? -- or maybe the apocalypse is truly what you think the future holds. Either way, I don't think any of us really have an idea what to expect from that kind of a world.