I love my major, I do. What I don't love are the comments that seem to follow after I have told someone I am a social work major or that I am going to be a social worker one day. In honor of March being National Social Work Month, here are some of my favorite comments that I or friends have received!
1. "Marry Rich"
Guys, look. I know I make a lot, and I mean a lot of jokes about marrying rich and how I'm gonna be poor forever; but all they are is jokes so stop with that.
2. "So, All You Want To Do Is Take Someone's Kids Away, Right?"
Not every social worker works in Child Protective Services or foster care. They're therapists clinicians, community organizers. They work with every one from the womb to the tomb.
3. "What An Easy Major!"
Yes, I am sure there are other majors out there that are hard, but just because something else is hard doesn't make mine any less hard. But yes, please keep telling me how easy my major is as I balance my internship with my school life with my personal life.
4. "You Have To Be Such A People Person!"
That's me, Susie Sunshine over here, but seriously. Newsflash, if I didn't like people I would be in the wrong major. It's safe to make the assumption that yes, in fact, I do like people.
5. "So You Want To Be A Therapist?"
No. No no no no. I don't want to be a therapist. Not every social worker will be a therapist. There is literally so many other things someone can do with their social work degree.
All in all, I am so happy to be part of the major I am part of. It's taught me so much about myself and has caused me tog row in ways I never thought I would. No comment is ever going to make me think I made the wrong choice in major.
- Yes, I Am Going To Be A Social Worker ›
- 11 Gifts Every Social Worker Graduate Needs, And Wants ›
- Reflections Of A Male Social Work Student On Living With Privilege ›
- What Being A Social Work Major Means To Me ›
- 10 Things Social Workers Want You to Know ›
- Social Workers Are The Most Misunderstood Heroes Of This World ›
- Social Workers Are Not 'Baby Snatchers' And It's Time You Learned ... ›
- 11 Things No One Tells You About Being A Social Work Major ›
- 10 Things Social Work Majors Are Tired Of Hearing ›
- 5 Misconceptions About Social Workers, Debunked ›