I started college with the plan of becoming a special ed teacher. However, sophomore year my mind changed when I realized I wanted to help children with their emotions and to help them become a better version of themselves. Did I know what social work was at first? Kinda, because I was in the social work club but I didn’t really know this career entailed. I believed that social work was going to be a challenging line of work but I was unsure of how challenging. I also knew that social workers were underpaid for their work but I did not realize how much. Looking back on it now, I realize how little I actually did know about social work and I am so grateful that I took a chance and majored in it. However, shoutout to Amanda Swindle for always pushing me to realize the impact and potential I had on my community and peers. She’s one of the reasons I even thought about social work.

Being a social work major means that I will make a positive difference in someones life.

Whether it be by working in child protection or working with the elderly, I will always be striving to make life better for others.

Being a social work major means that I will see some hard, almost unbearable, things in life.

But I will work through my emotions to do my job. Working with children who have been sexually or physically abused, mothers neglecting their children, will obviously effect me, but I will have to learn to deal with it and not let it stop me from continuing to do my job.

Being a social work major means lots and lots of essays.

DO NOT GET ME STARTED. It means writing and reflecting on what you've learned so far, and reflecting on how you can improve. And then reflecting again on how you have grown this semester. AND PROCESS RECORDINGS. The do actually help you in the long run.

Being a social work major means that I will have to put aside my own judgement's and bias to work with people I do not necessarily agree with.

The social work code of ethics will be my new best friend and it will help me decide what to do in an ethical dilemma.

Being a social work major means that I will never have to face anything alone.

I have my fellow students here to support me. The social work professors here at CNU are the most amazing people/educators in the world. They answer all my questions (and listen to my rants) and help guide you in the right direction. In the work force I will have supervisors and co workers who are there to help and support me. My supervisor right now is truly amazing.

Being a social worker is underrated.

You will work long hours and be pulled in many different directions. People usually will not be happy to see you at their doorstep. You will witness horrible cases of neglect and abuse and drug use. you will be underpaid for the amount of work that you do. But you will make a positive difference in someone's life. You will have an extremely rewarding job and if you are passionate about it you will succeed.

Being a social work major is not for everyone, but it is definitely for me.

After taking a lot of my social work classes at CNU, it has only reaffirmed my passion for this profession. I interned at the Alternatives Inc and I am placed in the 21st Century program at Passage Middle School and I have grown as a person and a mentor. I am not an assertive person at all but I have been becoming more comfortable in my skin. I have learned more than I ever could have imagined about myself and the people around me.

Thank you to all the social workers out there who do what they have to to make people's lives better. Thank you to the child protective workers who work with the families to make the homes safer for children. Thank you to all of my professors who have believed in me, when I still have days where I do not believe in myself, I ended up discovering my passion at my lowest point in my life and I couldn’t be more grateful. The social work professors, my colleagues, and the social work alum are one of the reasons I felt strong enough to stay at CNU and finish my career. I do not think I could have done if without these people. .So thank you to all the people I have met at my time here this far that have shared my passion.