My Social Anxiety Has Been Life-Altering

It can control you until it takes you over.

30
Social Anxiety Care

If you’re one of the rare ones who suffer from social anxiety disorder, then you know the struggle living every day can be. When I think back to all the times I was forced in the spotlight (always forced, never volunteered) I can remember how I reacted to every situation—to moments I know others do not remember, and the ones I will never forget—I can go rewind to about seven years old. Someone would ask me a question and I would freeze up because I didn’t want to embarrass myself. I don’t know if I was just shy or if my social anxiety can date back that far.

Sometimes I think I have learned to live with it, but other times I think it runs my life. Some days I am perfectly content to meet a stranger, and other days I get completely thrown and have an anxiety attack if I can’t escape a situation I did not prepare for. Sometimes I think I have mastered the art of living with a disorder, mostly because if I don’t do it by myself that means I have to willingly go get help. I’ve had the same local psychiatrist page pulled up on my computer for the last four months because I no longer want my disorder to run my life. I want to be able to enjoy the things other people enjoy, like going to the beach or spending time in the city.

I have waited four months to call to make a doctor’s appointment. One of the things holding me back is the fear that maybe I can’t get help for what I have. What if she can’t prescribe me medication that actually works? What if I can’t ever go out in public without overthinking? What if I am always going to second guess everything I say and do? What if I’ll never be able to function the way I want to? What if I am not worthy to be fixed? What if? What if? What if? That’s a brief understanding of how I think whenever I am in a situation where my social anxiety is heavily present. I overthink, over-guess, and over-assume everything that’s going on around me. I think random strangers are judging me and therefore I judge myself for thinking others are judging me because, why would they? I am not worth being judged.

I think that’s my biggest complaint about leading my life second to social anxiety. I always—no matter how much I am praised, how many awards I win, how many compliments I get—I will always come second to anyone because I don’t deserve to be first. It’s not because someone has told me I am not worth anyone’s time. It’s not because someone put these thoughts in my mind. It’s because I assume what people think about me from little behaviors or certain ways people word statements about me. It’s the way someone says hello, or sees me and glances around. I assume they want to escape instead of just looking at their surroundings.

Someone could compliment my shirt and tell me it’s pretty, but I always wonder why they lied to me or why they didn’t tell me I looked pretty in the shirt, then I will never wear that shirt again because I will second guess it until I finally change into something that I can easily blended into the background while wearing.

I make decisions based on how little something will flare my anxiety up, and I am tired of putting myself second to a disorder I pretend I can control. Every day I wake up and I tell myself I am going to call the doctor. Then five comes around and I tell myself I missed my opportunity and waiting one more day won’t hurt. Then it’s the weekend, and they aren’t opened on the weekends. I am tired of letting anxiety alter my life. I am tired of having this internal battle with myself every day, a battle most people I know don’t even realize I am fighting. So, tomorrow I am making an appointment. I am finally going to get the help I need. All the what if’s will still be circling in my head, but those what if’s can shut the hell up for once and let me make a decision based on the health of myself and not the fears that control me.