I'm From A Small Town, But I Don't Exactly "Fit In"

What even is a chuck wagon, anyway?

106

I'm just going to say it: sweet tea is my least favorite of teas. Not my cup of tea (pun absolutely intended). I don't really know what chocolate gravy is and I have never in my life worn nor owned a pair of cowgirl boots or Miss Me jeans. You see, I was born and raised here (technically the city over from that, but I digress). Most of my friends through life were also born here! I think the difference lies in my parents not being from here. They both moved here when they were still school-aged, but not into the same school system my sisters and I grew up in. So, no one really knows our family. I had great teachers, but I didn't know them on a personal level. I couldn't relate to the people who were related to, it seemed, every other person in the school with their surname. I didn't grow up with or go to school with my cousins and have easy, instant friends in my classes.

I was well-known in school, especially when it got to middle and high school, but I had to fight a little for recognition. It has always seemed like the faculty were more impressed with who your parents were, rather than how outstanding you were as a student or in your community. Sure, there have been struggles. Students have gotten chosen over me because of preference or association, but I am very proud of all I was able to accomplish, anyway. Even my parents (especially my mom) have admitted to not feeling like they knew anyone well or "fit in" with other parents. I don't have any of those ''I knew your dad when he was just a kid" or "I taught your mom, too!" stories. Since I was young, I think I just wanted to leave. Not that I didn't have amazing relationships with others in my safe little town, but I never felt like I belonged. I want to see life outside of Scottsville, Kentucky.

I was ecstatic when I decided to go to the University of Kentucky because that was finally a way out!

I have always craved a diversity that I just never will receive in my small hometown. Expanding my world by getting my own taste of freedom, diving into communities with people of different races, religions, political standings... that's what I wanted. My desire to learn and experience new things has always been bigger than my desire to stay close to home. A lot of people I grew up with have expressed before that they'd be totally comfortable living back home for the rest of their lives. And that's great for them! I'm glad they found where they're happy so easily. But I don't exactly know where I'll end up yet. I love a big city feel and fall in love with places like Chicago every time I go. All I know is that I don't think I would be happy to live the rest of my days in my hometown.

The world is my oyster, but I feel like it can be hard to put yourself into the world if you haven't gotten much experience from the beginning. It's almost impossible to experience new cultures in a small town like mine and it can cause skewed perspectives of the world. I'm extremely thankful that my views have adjusted and that I've grown as a more accepting, open, and godly person since I've lived a life outside of my hometown. It leaves me craving more and I can't get enough of the world now that I have had a little taste. Getting to experience life elsewhere is one of the best things I've done for myself.

It also made me realize that I don't want to exactly fit into my hometown.

At least, I don't want to fit into the mold I had created for myself when I was still in school there. I'm glad for myself that I am not entirely comfortable in a small town. I can't imagine not changing as much as I have. I'm proud that I have more or less left because there are other people who want to leave, but just never will. It isn't the life for me. I haven't found my city yet or my niche. There are things out there for me besides cowgirl boots and sweet tea. Being in college in another city taught me to be more comfortable with having opinions of my own and not having to conform to what everyone else thought. I don't need to impress anyone like I thought I did in high school.

At the end of the day, no one is forcing us to fit into the image others create for us. If you're not comfortable or if you don't "fit in" with your surroundings, there's a place out there somewhere that will make you feel at home. Somewhere out there is a city that you fit into like a puzzle piece and there's a big chance it isn't the place you always thought it would be.