For The Single People This Christmas, Being Single Is A Gift
relationships

For The Single Person During The Holidays, Being Single Is A Gift, So Make Sure To Acknowledge It

For the single person who is sick and tired of it, here's what I want you to know.

119
girl in the snow

With the merriment of Christmas Starbucks drinks, Hallmark Christmas movies, and the excitement of Jesus' birth can also come the chilling reality of singleness. This winter season especially it seems to be hitting me that I am single, and it seems like everywhere I look there is a couple cozying up or a movie reminding me that Christmas is the season to find love, yet here I am.

For some, maybe it doesn't bother you. But I'd be lying if I said that I hadn't felt alone at some point, or even called my mom and sobbed for 15 minutes. And maybe you're like me and you know that you don't need a partner, and you know your worth and value and simply you know all the right answers, but sometimes you just struggle to believe it. Well, if that's you like it's me — know that we are going to get through it.

I watched this video called "The Gift of Singleness," and maybe you just rolled your eyes because sometimes it's one of those gifts that you just simply want to return and you are tired of hearing that. Well, I've been there too, but there was this line in the video that stuck out to me. The man said, "if you're frustrated with your singleness, then you don't understand what singleness is."

He continued to talk about how when we are single we have so much more freedom and time, and the question is what are we going to do with that time? The one thing he kept repeating is that singleness gives us undistracted time to pursue devotion to the Lord.

One thing I've realized is that singleness is not a waiting room. It is not a time to sit waiting for someone to call your name and for you to finally be chosen to date. Singleness is a time where we get to pursue our passions, and we get to work on who we want to be. It is not a time to sit and wait, but a time to get up and act.

There are worse things than being single. My mom reminded me that at least I'm not in a relationship that's unhealthy or toxic. Sometimes it can seem that singleness is the worst punishment, and we would honestly settle for anybody. But it is so much better to be single than be with somebody that does not build you up or rather makes you feel less than who you really are. We are stronger than we think, and we are going to be fine with or without somebody to share the holidays with.

Fake it till you make it. As I was saying, it's so easy to know the right answers and know how you should feel but much harder to actually feel strong and independent and not lonely. But sometimes you just have to hold on and keep faking it till you make it. Be honest with yourself, and there's nothing wrong with vulnerability and admitting that you can be lonely sometimes. But also remember that you are worth seeking and that you deserve a truly great person, and one day you will find that. But for now, enjoy singleness, pursue your passions, and remember now is a time to serve the Lord without distractions. Also, use this holiday spirit to serve others instead of thinking about yourself. For so many, the holidays are a sad time or a time where it's cold and they don't have homes or anyone to celebrate with. I am trying to remember it's not about me and look for somebody to reach out to.

Single people — we are going to be okay. And this season of loneliness will pass. Just hold on. And know that in your loneliest moment, you are not alone. From me to you — I'm with you.