8 Reminders For My Fellow Single People This Valentine's Day

Valentine's Day is a really tough holiday for us single people.

56

Well, it's another Valentine's Day where I am still single as hell, but hey, it is what it is! Valentine's Day is one of those awful holidays created for card companies and other corporations to make money off of us; well at least that's what my parents always told me! In other words, the holiday is overrated and designed to make us single people feel even lonelier. But hey, we aren't as lonely as we may think! We all have each other, and I wanted to remind you of a few thoughts to keep in mind this Valentine's Day.

1. It's perfectly ok to be single, even if you have been single for a long time

During this romantic holiday, I often find myself feeling strange because I am still single. I see some of my other friends who have boyfriends and feel like I should have one by now. However, there is no rush to be in a relationship if it doesn't feel right or if you haven't found the right person yet! Being single does not make you inadequate, and there is no rule that says you have to be in a romantic relationship.

2. The best relationship you can have is with yourself

Unsplash

Being single is the perfect time for you to work on your relationship with yourself! It's definitely a cliche, but you can't really love someone until you fully love yourself. Therefore, treat yourself this Valentine's Day to some chocolates and relaxation time. Get to know yourself and find what makes you happy.

3. You'll find your special someone when the time is right

Unsplash

Don't rush into a relationship just because you feel like you have to; the right person will come along when the time is right. I know so many people who actively seem to "hunt" for a girlfriend or boyfriend, but I always encourage them to let that person come to them naturally. Love and relationships shouldn't be forced. Everyone has someone out there for them, just give it time.

4. Just because you are still single doesn't mean there is something wrong with you

I think all single people start to feel doubtful of themselves at some point for not being in a relationship. However, being single doesn't necessarily mean that there is anything wrong with you. As I said earlier, maybe you just haven't met the right person for you yet, but you will eventually. You are beautiful and worthy of love. There is someone out there for you, trust me.

5. You aren't the only person who is feeling lonely on Valentine's Day

Unsplash

If you are feeling lonely on Valentine's Day, please be comforted by the fact that you are not the only one. There are thousands of people out there, including me, who are in the exact same position as you; single as f*ck and feeling pretty sad about it. However, look at it this way: that just means that there's more people out there who could be your future love interest! Don't give up, we'll all find our person soon enough.

6. Do not lower your standards just because you feel pressured to be with someone

Valentine's Day is quite a vulnerable day for us single people and it makes dating apps like Tinder and Bumble look that much more tempting. If you wish to meet someone from a dating app, power to you. I won't judge! However, please keep your standards and your self-worth in mind; do not compromise either of those things out of loneliness. Also, beware of your ex's number on your phone and please for the love of God do not text them out of loneliness; you know you deserve better than that.

7. Single life can be fun!

Enough about the downsides of being single. The single life can actually be pretty fun and freeing. Instead of drowning in your own misery and loneliness, call up some of your other single friends and have a fun night together! Open up a bottle of wine, put on a cute chick flick, pop some popcorn, and have a dance party to celebrate your freedom. Being single allows you to have options with dating life! It's nothing to be totally sad about!

8. You can be happy, even if you aren't in a relationship

Trust me, not every person in a relationship is happy. I know so many people who are in relationships and are incredibly unhappy. Therefore, happiness does not equal being in a relationship. Find happiness in yourself and then you'll be in a good position to pursue a relationship without relying on that person for your happiness. Single life does not need to be sad, and as I said earlier, it's a nice way to find spend time with yourself.

This Valentine's Day, buy yourself chocolates! Go to the spa! Hang with your single friends and drink some wine! Do whatever makes you happy and remember that being single is not a bad thing! Take this time to love and care for yourself.