Single And No, I'm Not Sorry

Single And No, I'm Not Sorry

I'm loving it.

61
Single And No, I'm Not Sorry
Her Campus

Ah, love. It's something we all dream of having one day. The awkward first dates turning into the more romantic ones which will hopefully then lead to that big ole' ring on your left, freshly polished, hand. White picket fence, big house, handsome husband and four little kids running around in your perfect American Dream. This is what all girls want, right? Which is why at the age of 18 I feel the pressure to find the man of my dreams. I am told "oh, I'm sorry," when I tell others I am 'still single.' This is wrong. Don't get me wrong, of course I want the perfect wedding and the love of my life to be standing by my side.

However, I am not going to find Mr. Right by being forced into a relationship. That usually just leads to dumb mistakes. So while I'm young, I am going to enjoy and, more importantly, embrace my current relationship status: Single. One. Uno. Solo. I won't be ashamed of it and I won't succumb to the pressures of society to "fit in" and get a boyfriend. Until I can find a guy who makes me happy, I'm perfectly fine with being by myself because at the end of the day, you're never alone if you love yourself. To all my single ladies, here are a few things you should definitely know and try while you are enjoying your freedom. Heres my rendition of how to be single:

1. Go to the movies alone.

This is something everyone should try at least once in their lives. The first time I did it, I thought I'd feel weird. However, it's quite fulfilling. Besides, there's no annoying person sitting next to you asking questions!

2. No date? No problem.

Prom coming up? Have a wedding to attend and no plus one? Who cares! Go alone. I am a survivor of the whole no plus one prom date scenario. I went solo and have no regrets. It was a great experience. So a few words of encouragement to any high schoolers feeling pressured into finding the perfect date for prom. Don't be. Going by yourself is always an option. It's definitely better than settling for a guy who is just looking to get some action that night.

3. Stop Looking.

The whole point of being single is to do exactly that! Be single. You should worry for yourself and nobody else. Delete all those dating apps. Yes, even Tinder. Those apps hold you back from truly enjoying your single life.

4. Love yourself.

Throughout this whole period of life, by far one of the most important parts is that you find yourself. In your single days you should find a love for yourself; a passion, a hobby, a goal. Achieve anything you thought you couldn't before. Work on being the best version of yourself so that when the time comes to be with Mr. Right, you can focus all your love on him and he can give all his love to you. For now, devote your life to yourself and don't feel bad.

Am I getting corny yet? Bare with me.

5. Spontaneous trips.

One of the many perks to being single is that you don't have to consult with anyone else. You are your own boss. Want to be crazy and book a trip to Fiji? Do it. Want to go rescue a dog at a shelter? Do it. Go on a crazy road trip with you BFFs? Um, DO IT! Anything you want to do, you can because ultimately it is up to you.

6. No penciling in.

Embrace your free calendar! No weekend dates and no significant others family parties to attend. Just you, yourself and some cheese and a bottle of wine. Well, maybe when I turn 21 for the wine. You're on your own schedule, not someone else's.

7. Single means you can mingle! #partayyyyy.

Have fun talking to other people when you go out to parties. You can meet new guys and not feel the guilt of socializing and having some fun!

8. Not a tragedy.

Remember, being single is not a bad thing. There is nothing wrong with you. It is a phase that everyone in their lives will go through so enjoy it. Do things by yourself because who says two is better than one?