Sin is Not a Minor Thing

Sin is Not a Minor Thing

“Oh come on, it isn’t even that bad.”

69
Sin is Not a Minor Thing
Pinterest.com

Honestly, how many times have we all heard the following sayings?

“Well everyone else is doing it.”

“So what? There are worse things that I could do.”

“It isn’t technically frowned upon now, though.”

“It isn’t even really a sin.”

“Oh come on, it isn’t even that bad.”

Like what?

Y’all, all sin is equal in the eyes of God - all of it, whether it is a ‘little’ sin or a ‘big’ sin. Sin is sin and God sees it all the same. Sin is not a minor thing and it is not to be taken lightly in the slightest. God has destroyed our world before because of sin and He will again.

Now, I’ll be the first to admit that I’m not perfect. I make mistakes. I let God down. I mess things up, all the time. I struggle with sin the same as everyone else; I mean we are only human after all. But I repent when I do wrong, allowing God’s grace to be bigger than my sins and I try to correct my sins by turning away from them.

We are called to do what is right; not what is easy. And when we become comfortable living in our sins because “well, everyone else is doing it” that is when the real problems begin to arise.

Here is one thing I’m sure we can all relate too. Most of us love material things, new Kendra Scott’s, the latest Kate Spade bag or for me home décor. But, Luke 16:13 states: “No one can serve two masters. Either you will hate the one and love the other, or you will be devoted to the one and despite the other. You cannot serve both God and money.” I mean think about how excited you are to get new things, are you also that excited when you go to spend time with God?

Another thing many of us could relate too would be idolatry and self-justification. Luke 16:15 states: He said to them, “You are the ones who justify yourselves in the eyes of others, but God knows your hearts. What people value is highly detestable in God’s sight”. How often do we open up Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, Snapchat or even just emails before you say a prayer and simply thank God for being alive? And how often do we put our busy schedules in front of spending time in the word of God? And we have all sunk to the slippery slope of self-justification once or twice, saying “Well, so-and-so does a lot worse things so I think I’m okay” but that jurisdiction is not ours to make. And again, all sin is equal in the eyes of God – so if we keep thinking our sin is okay we’re heading down a deep, dark path.

So ultimately, as cliché as it may be. I would rather stand by God and be judged by the world than to stand with the world and be judged by God. I would rather not fit in with the crowd, not be ‘cool’ and serve my Savior. I would rather lose friendships than to lose God because He is my priority. Therefore, realize that your sin could be keeping you from God and turn away from it. God is offering you a fuller life than the world ever could.

“The world and its desires pass away, but the man who does the will of God lives forever” 1 John 2:17.