Simple Styling Tips To Look More Put Together

Styling a perfect outfit isn't easy, here are some tips and tricks to make it seem like you really know what you're doing.

113
Photo by Margo Huntley

A truly put together look has so many components that it can seem overwhelming. All of the layers, and colors, and patterns, not to mention matching accessories, hair and makeup, it seems like a lot. It is a lot, that's why there are professionals whose entire job is to put looks together. Most of us will never perfect it to that degree, but there are some super easy tricks you can learn to get you most of the way there.

Accessorize outside of just jewelry.

This will really make you stand out as someone who is consciously putting effort into their style. Almost everyone wears jewelry, but not a lot of people take the time to accessorize beyond that when most people think of accessories the primary thing that they think of IS jewelry. But in reality, there are so many more options. Think sunglasses, hair ribbons, scarves, bandanas, bags and clutches, stylish keychains, bag pins, coordinated phone cases, stylish to go cups and mugs, tasteful stickers on your notebooks, all of these things factor into your look, it is not just what you are wearing on your body but what you are holding and surrounded by as well.

Mix your fits.

Clothing fit refers to its tightness and looseness. The general rule of thumb is to have at least one fitted item or area, and one less-fitted item on your body. A fitted area can be where the clothing is tight or where there is a gap of clothing, for example, loose fitted pants and a baggy crop top leave a section of midriff showing to create shape and dimension. Aside from that examples include skinny jeans and a fitted top paired with a looser fitting jacket or blazer, or oversized boyfriend jeans with a fitted crop cami. The variation of fits is subconsciously more interesting and pleasing to our eyes, compared to a uniformly tight or loose outfit and it gives your body more flattering definition. A pro tip is to fit the areas of your body that you feel most confident with.

Know the threes rule.

If you aren't confident in your ability to pick out a great outfit, the "threes rule" is a great one to stick to. When it comes to different colors in your outfit, stick to three. This doesn't mean any three colors are always okay, but certain combinations are. Some of the most common combinations are: two neutrals and a party color, two neutrals and a pattern, and one neutral and two pastels. Neutrals include black, white, tan, beige, brown, etc. Keep in mind that with two neutrals and a pattern, the colors in your pattern should either be the color of your two neutrals or only involve one additional color so that your total colors still equals three.

Color match your jewelry.

Decide what metal base you will wear (gold, silver, rose, etc.) based on the rest of your outfit. If your neutrals are warm-toned, like tan, then gold is a good option. If your neutrals are cooler toned like grey, then silver might be better. Black and white neutrals leave the choice completely up to you because they are neither warm nor cool. Choose your metal base and keep it consistent with all of the jewelry you put on. Rings, bracelets, necklaces, earrings, if you keep the metal consistent everything will look much more coordinated and pleasing to the eye.

Actually style your hair.

Not that your natural hair isn't beautiful, because it is. But putting even the smallest amount of effort into styling your hair rather than leaving it down or pulling it back plain will make a world of a difference. It doesn't have to take long either because there are options like five-minute curls, or a sleeked back pony that require hardly any effort at all but look ten times more polished.

Don't underestimate your shoe choices.

I get that comfort is important, and a lot of people assume nobody will pay attention to their shoe choice, but it matters more than you think. A stand-out outfit is all about the little details. Worn out sandals and dirty sneakers are just not the kind of detail you need. Wearing stylish shoes doesn't mean you can't be comfortable. If you don't like heels, invest in a pair of loafers. Or if you have a long commute to an event, wear flats to walk over and bring your heels in a bag to switch into only when you need them.