Driving Can Be A Phobia Because Of These 4 Reasons

Everyone is different when it comes to what they’re afraid of and why, so have some patience and be more understanding. ​

108

Well, don’t I sound absolutely silly? Driving is SO easy, isn’t it? People do it every day, and most could probably do it in their sleep. Unfortunately, not all of us have that luxury. For some, driving is stressful and can cause some major anxiety. Don’t you dare laugh because it’s true. Here’s a list of reasons why one may get nervous while behind the wheel.

1. Past experiences

Obviously, people can develop driving anxiety due to something that traumatized them. It’s doesn’t need to be a near-fatal accident. It could be something more minor, like being a victim of road rage (guilty as charged) or driving in very bad weather. I can hear you snickering. Knock it off. Everyone is different when it comes to what they’re afraid of and why, so at least try have some patience and be more understanding.

2. Unfamiliar places

This is my biggest issue. I have no problem driving to my college campus, to work, or to my appointments, because they’re all close to home. However, when it comes to places I’ve never driven before, outside of my comfort zone, my heart races. When I don’t know when to turn, change lanes, or yield, my palms moisten, my breathing quickens, and my brain stops functioning. To make matters worse, the drivers around you are not patient when you're clueless. And people wonder I’ve never traveled out of town by myself.

3. Feeling trapped

We’ve all been stuck in traffic before, right? For most, it’s downright irritating, but for others, it’s like having the walls close in. You can’t get out. You have to sit there until the cars in front of you move. Some people can’t handle something like that and can have a panic attack. I know someone who had a panic attack while in the driver's seat, and from what they had described, it sounds terrifying.

4. Fearing the unknown

This was probably my biggest fear BEFORE I started driving. I was always afraid of getting into car accidents, running out of gas, getting a flat tire, etc. I would never know what would happen to me or to someone else. My parents once told me, “The car doesn’t control you. You control the car.” Well, that didn’t make me feel better. Come on, we ALL fear the unknown, but some of us more than others.

This phobia may sound ridiculous, but it’s a thing. You’d be surprised to find out what makes people afraid or nervous. Before you judge someone or crack jokes, try to understand them. Don’t tell them to “get over it,” because that won’t help.

I’ve been told more than once to get over my driving anxiety, and I swear it ticks me off each time I hear it repeated. Trust me, I’d love to conquer it, but that takes time. We can get through our “silly” fears if we want to. All we need is patience, support, and determination.

Go git ‘em, guys!