In Silent Places

In Silent Places

It is in the silent places where God grows us the most

9
PixABay

“Long ago, at many times and in many ways, God spoke to our fathers by the prophets, but in these last days he has spoken to us by his Son, whom he appointed the heir of all things, through whom also he created the world.”

Hebrews 1:1-2

About a week ago, I started doing a study through the book of Hebrews. I sat down without a plan of how to study the book, no agenda, just to read and dwell on the scripture in the short amount of time I had. When I sat down to start reading, my mind was going in a million different directions. So many things needed to get done, and there are only so many hours in a day. Worries and stresses were clouding my mind, and honestly, I was concerned about whether or not I would be able to spend enough time in the Word to get anything from it. All I knew was that I need to get into the Word. So I opened my Bible and started reading in Hebrews chapter one…

All I have to say is I love when God proves me wrong. There I was just moments before worried I would not be able to take anything away from scripture because of a lack of time, then God blesses me with such a needed reminder.

The first two verses of Hebrews reminded me that God is always there and has a plan, even when He seems absent. Being in school and not being entirely sure on what you are supposed to do afterwards is troublesome, slightly scary, and sometimes just straight up terrifying. I keep asking God for direction, but I have not gotten an answer. Day in and day out, trying to seek where God wants me, what I am supposed to do, and how to get there. It can be rather discouraging at times, but I’m learning God has a purpose for silence.

See, verse one is describing God speaking to the prophets of the Old Testament. Verse two is talking about the New Testament, when Jesus comes on the scene. But the part that caught my attention was the space between these two verses. From the end of Malachi, the last of the Old Testament prophets, to the birth of Jesus, four hundred years past.

Four hundred years. All without a word from God.

Now that is a long time, especially to be filled with silence. But God’s purpose for these years of silence was not to cause confusion or doubt. It was to strengthen Israel’s trust and faith in their God, Who keeps His promises. During the four hundred years, God may not have been speaking but He was working. He was fulfilling prophesies He had spoken of before. He was showing His people His faithfulness by doing what He said He would. This showed me that God has a purpose for the silence in my life as well.

So, if you are in a silent place like me, take heart. God will not remain silent. I believe that during the times of silence, God is calling us to be faithful to Him by trusting and studying His Word. We are being called to sit back and watch God work His plan for our lives. It is in the silent places where God grows us the most. When it is time for us to do something, He will break the silence and tell us what we are to do. Until then, I will remain faithful to the God who not only knows the future, but is Himself the Author.