Silence Shouldn't Scare You

Silence Shouldn't Scare You

Relish the Quiet

216
Silence Shouldn't Scare You
Simon Migaj

I've had a problem with silence. Honestly, I've always looked forward to it. As an introvert, I find that I'm energized by silence and alone time. Seriously, I carry around ear plugs and use them rather regularly to block out sound and to give myself time to think.

But, I know plenty of introverts that hate silence. This got me thinking, why does silence scare so many people?

I see it with my peers all the time. Everyone needs to be listening to music or watching Netflix or any multitude of other activities instead of just remaining quiet. I cannot tell you have many times I have heard someone say, "I hate when it's quiet".

For most people, I think that they are scared of what the silence is going to say. When there is nothing to distract you, you're left with your own thoughts and emotions.

I think it's important for everyone to become comfortable with the absence of noise. Silence gives us the opportunity to work through problems and events that have been bothering us. There is nothing wrong with it. More over, silence gives us time to be comfortable with ourselves.

Stop multitasking. Give yourself some peace and quiet. Meditate on your own thoughts. Learn to love yourself and emotions. You have to be at peace with yourself.

You can start small. While you're walking, don't listen to music. Spend five minutes before bed just sitting in silence. Listen to what it has to say and reflect on your day.

I think that this more important know more than ever. As you go through college and start to enter the real world, the pressures of society and the distractions of life are going to become more and more apparent. Our society moves so fast that it's hard to realize that this pace isn't always healthy. By giving yourself a time to process in silence your giving your mind, body, and soul, the time it deserves.

In silence, you will get to know yourself better. Give it a try. You might even find that you like it.