Silence Is Not An Answer

Silence Is Not An Answer

It's easy to avoid confrontation when you can simply not text that person back.

207
Silence Is Not An Answer

In this day and age texting and social media has become more and more popular. Texting is a way to interact with people without having to actually be in the same room as them. With all this non-face-to-face interaction, we've all become less interested in having real conversations with others to the point where it actually becomes scary.

Some people look at serious conversations as confrontation and they don't know how to deal with them so they believe the best way to stop it is to end all interaction for good without warning.

Now don't get me wrong, I love social media and texting just as much as the next Millennial but I do notice how it can get in the way of how people decide to treat you. I'm the type of person who needs someone to tell me when they've just had enough and they don't want to speak to me anymore.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with it either it's just a way for me to choose not to waste my time on that individual anymore. There are some people, however, that is extremely afraid of that sort of conversation or "confrontation."

These people are afraid of those who need straightforward answers because they are uncomfortable with conversations that are a little serious or heavy. Instead of just saying "hey, I actually would rather not have you in my life anymore" they just never talk to you again. It's easy to avoid "confrontation" when you can simply not text that person back. We're all human; those people who avoid serious conversations may have their issues but those who need straightforward answers have troubles too.

Some of us actually need those deep conversations for closure and moving on. It may sound silly needing closure to those who don't really care but for the ones who do care, it sounds silly to end interactions with others by "ghosting" them because you are afraid to tell them you'd rather not talk anymore.

The term "ghosting" is ridiculous all by itself. Maybe it's okay for middle school children to use it but you'd be surprised at the number of grown adults I've come across who use that term as some excuse to treat someone poorly.

Telling someone who cares about you that you don't want them around anymore is tough and so is hearing someone tell you they'd rather not be around you anymore. These situations are hard but sometimes things just need to be said for people to move forward. It's not brave or funny or cute to pretend not to care about someone's feelings.

It's better to treat those who've given you respect the same exact way they treated you.