10 Signs You're A Minnesotan Out Of Minnesota

Well, sure, you betcha... you'll agree!

1214
Science Times

You might be out of state, whether it be the USA still or a whole 'nother country, but you're still Minnesotan, and this is how you can tell! If you're not Minnesotan and you can relate to several of these, well, then... I'm afraid you're just a Youper.

1. The fair

It’s hard to believe some people don't go to their state's State Fair, well, ever. Or to believe that it could be anything less than utterly fantastic, but some people really think that. Sure, it's crowded, but that just means it’s full of more vibrant life and people! From blueberry beer to chocolate-dipped bacon, annual favorites like Martha’s Cookies or something new and deep-fried, the food is to die for. But wait, there’s more! The baby barn, the gondolas, the big concerts, even the vegetable contests. There are always things to look at in the fair!

2. The weather

There’s "snow" weather like Minnesotan weather. Minnesotans are tough, and it shows even more when you’re out of state. Chicago cold? Easy. It’s just wind -- better that than below-zero temperatures combined with below-zero windchill. Most days like that, school isn’t even cancelled. Michigan is no problem, either. And don’t get me started on states like California, Texas, and Georgia. Who puts on their coats when it’s above 32 degrees?

Plus, Minnesotans have seen their fair share of hot summers, too, so you won’t see us complaining about boiling in the heat -- we knew in Minnesota there was always a lake nearby to jump into, so nothing is really that bad. Out of state, yeah, it might be a bit tougher, but we’re water people -- a pool will do just fine.

3. The lakes

Every out-of-Minnesota Minnesotan has looked around at some point in their new residence and thought about the surprising lack of lakes. You could live in Arizona or Michigan, and there would never be enough lakes because it’s more than just the number -- it’s the lake culture. From the Boundary Waters to Lake Harriet, you can canoe, swim, boat, or walk the perimeter, but other states just don’t have it quite the same. It’s also weird to think about an "up north" that doesn’t include Duluth or Lake Superior.

4. The accents and the cuisine

It’s the little things in life, right? Like the way your accent is decidedly Midwestern, but you’ve got a few words and vowels that aren’t quite the same, and people notice. "Bag," for example. That’s the one I’m called out most on. We’ve also got phrases nobody else uses, like "pop," "oh, fer cute," "duck duck grey duck," and "that’s interesting" in our daily lives. And of course, "you betcha." People who aren’t from Minnesoooota don’t always know what’cher talking about, especially when it comes to food, and that’s a darn shame.

I mean, why would you even call it casserole when it’s clearly hotdish? You can’t get me to eat lutefisk, but I’ll make it for you anyway and see your reaction. Wild rice soup is also a rarity in some places -- it’s ridiculous!

5. Caribou Coffee

Starbucks is great and all, but sometimes you just want that cabin feeling with your daily cup o’ joe. Caribou is all over the place in Minnesota, but if you’re anywhere else, the nearest ones might be 50 or more miles apart. Then what do you do with your gift card, eh? Plus, they offer different drinks than Starbucks does, and even the best things can get old. There should be more Caribou everywhere!

6. Minnesota friendliness

Where do I even start? Watch out for that culture shock, Minnesota Leaver, cause it’s pretty strong when it comes to being helpful or saying goodbye. You might know the "Minnesotan Goodbye" of standing in a doorway for 20 minutes (or, as I did once with a friend, convincing her to stay for dinner instead), but what is that like in other states? They’re as fast gone as the French! The practice of non-confrontational passive-aggressiveness is woefully weak in other states as well, which can be good -- a.k.a. you win and get what you want -- or bad because they are oblivious. When you’re not in Minnesota, a lot of people can seem really rude or blunt, and it can be hard for you to adapt to this new fighting ring. Just know that when you come back, Minnesota will still be here for you (although you might have to lower your tone and stop being so mean, don'cha know).

7. Instant friendship with other Minnesotans!

Because Minnesota has such a unique culture, finding another Minnesotan somewhere else in the USA is like finding another American in a remote desert island in Melanesia. This has definitely been one of the things my new Chicago friends have noticed -- any and all other Minnesotans are my friends on the spot. But that’s totally natural! Finally, you find another person who’s willing to stay for the "Minnesotan Goodbye," or someone who actually knows the art of understatement like "it could be worse," or is totally willing to talk hockey and Vikings with you without immediately bursting out into laughter. They’re like being on the lake on a hot summer’s day, and everyone else is the beach. Still pretty rad, but not the same.

8. Clothing tax

This one’s pretty self-explanatory. How do other cities become shopping hubs when you have to pay clothing tax? Why would you shop anywhere else besides Minnesota? We have the MOA (Mall of America), for Pete’s sake! You can get lost in there for days, and though it isn’t as great as it was when it was Camp Snoopy, they’ve got all the fancy shindigs a shopper would want -- including buckets of tourists and restricting rules for the youth. If you’re out of Minnesota in a place where you have to pay clothing tax, I’m sorry. Come back soon so you can get some new digs, even if the MOA’s a bit spendy.

9. "Fargo"

It isn’t even in Minnesota! Only people who live up north and your grandmother have those accents! Yes, the snow is that bad! People around the world have seen "Fargo" and know Minnesota from there, and anywhere you go as a proud Minnesotan people’ll ask you about it. There’ve been a bunch more movies set in Minnesota, about Minnesota, or featuring Minnesota that are also good, but people will remember the classic murder one the best. Don’t get too discouraged -- after all, though you might not be near a Fleet Farm, you can always tell them you can get your hands on a wood chipper.

10. State pride

You can take the Minnesotan out of Minnesota, but you can’t take the Minnesota out of the Minnesotan! From knowing the words to our state anthem, "The State of Hockey," or just being a good neighbor and helping people out, your identity as a Minnesotan only grows stronger when you’re gone. After all, who else would talk about the greatness of the common loon or how fishing is an art form no matter the season? You betcha you’re still Minnesotan even though you left. What, you think Minnesota would be unfriendly enough to let you go? Never. After all, it’s Minnesota!