8 Signs You Are Too Young To Get Married

8 Signs You Are Too Young To Get Married, Like Not Being Old Enough To Book The Hotel For Your Honeymoon

Remember: it's a lifelong commitment.

119

It is easy to compare your life to others, especially with the invention of social media. Everywhere I look I see photos featuring couples moving in together, newly engaged couples, or couples expecting their first baby.

Frankly, seeing these photos and life achievements popping up on my timeline is a little freaky. There are days I find myself forgetting about all of the responsibilities I already have. If I can't remember to water my plant, how am I supposed to share my life with someone?

Here are 8 signs you are definitely too young to be saying "I do":

Your best memory together was high school prom.

There is something to be said for going through special moments together, but if the greatest memory you have together is from your high school prom, you might need to experience more of life as a couple. How do you know if you and your partner are meant to be if you haven't experienced enough of life's moments together? This doesn't mean those couples who do go to their high school prom together are destined to fail, it just means there is so much more that should be shared before getting married.

You don't have an actual job.

When you enter a partnership, you share pretty much everything: a house, tax return, and responsibilities. How are you supposed to start your life together if you do not have your own priorities straightened out? Yes, a job does count as a priority. I do not understand how people decide to get married without a means to support themselves.

You don't know how to do your taxes without calling your parents in a panic.

Every April, I call my father in a panic, confused and terrified about filling out my taxes. I do not understand how anyone my age could feel comfortable filling out their taxes. There should be some universal rule that establishes you can only get married once you successfully learn how to complete your tax return.

You still have a "finsta."

In my book, a finsta means you are hiding something, trying to keep something a secret, or you're doing something you are too young for, meaning it is still illegal. If you still actively use yours then you are probably too young to get married. A finsta is also associated with some level of immaturity. If you are making a commitment to share your life with someone for the rest of your life, you need to have some level of responsibility.

You can't legally drink at your wedding.

Although I am not a big drinker, I still think it is an important or at least a significant part of a wedding. When you turn 21, suddenly you reach some benchmark in your life. If you can't partake in drinking at your own wedding then you might be too young.

Your wedding guests graduated high school two weeks ago.

You grow a lot in college. You develop into a responsible person, ready to take on whatever life and yes, marriage, throws at you. I am in no way the same person now that I was when I graduated high school. If these are the people you are inviting to the wedding, you might need to grow up a little.

You can't book a hotel room by yourself.

This is just further proof you are not prepared to get married and have significant responsibilities if you cannot reserve a hotel room.

You referred to your wife as a slut in high school.

Or how about this, just don't refer to any woman as a slut.

In my honest opinion, I believe there should be some level of responsibility when it comes to making a commitment with the person you are planning to spend the rest of your life with. The wedding is just the first step in the journey you are taking together. Nowadays more marriages end in divorce and the younger you are, the more likely you are to get divorced. If you are ready to make such a serious commitment, you need to be prepared for whatever life throws at you.

This does not mean I do not believe in true love. My parents got married right out of college and are still together 32 years later. However, you should be prepared to handle the ups and downs that life and marriage throw at you and to grow together.

Follow Swoon on Instagram.