10 Shows And Movies That Will Distract You From 2020

You really think I would let you go this long without another binge worthy list? C'mon man.

288

My post-grad crippling COVID-job-hunting-anxiety-ridden-20-something year old's list of most recently watched shows and movies that have successfully taken my wandering mind away from the hell hole that is 2020. I can promise after watching any of these 10 curated content creations you will be shocked, angry, sad, or laughing your ass off (all qualify as being ~distracted~). Maybe you've seen these, maybe you haven't. Maybe you've heard of them and have been too lazy to give them a try, so this is your sign to press play. Regardless I have the attention span of a fly, and I have easily been able to sit back and enjoy these bad boys. If I can watch them so can you. Let me know what ya think you filthy couch potatoes you! (And no the Outer Banks is not on this list because I do not concern myself with the likes of TRASH and 30-year-olds pumped up with botox playing 13-year-olds, although Riverdale was actually kind of good)

1. "Grizzly Man"

images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com

If you are a true-crime documentary lover like myself then this one might be something to look into, but it is not for the faint of heart. Released in 2005, if you haven't heard the story I don't want to give it away for you but its the same kind of f*cked up fascinating content that will have you thinking about it for days. This documentary isn't true-crime but it is nothing short of shocking and extremely interesting. The closest thing I can relate it to shock wise is don't fuck with cats, but it involves animals a tad bit larger. If this doesn't distract you from 2020 you need to see someone.

2. "The 13th"

i.ytimg.com

This documentary was a requirement for one of my first college courses shortly after it was released in 2016. One of my favorites, Bryan Stevenson, author of Just Mercy, plays a roll in documenting America's history of systemic racism, particularly our jail system, and how our prisons are disproportionately filled with African-Americans. I can promise you this will leave you feeling some type of way, either empowered to spark a change, shocked, newly educated, or heartbroken. I had a sudden urge to become a lawyer after this..? There is nothing you won't learn from seeing America's true history unfold through this ever-so relevant documentary on Netflix.

3. "Flea Bag"

images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com

Foreign, funny, and female? Oh, baby sign me up. I was first introduced to Phoebe Waller-Bridge when she hosted SNL last season, I was taken back by her British-ness but got over it within minutes as her monologue dove into her hyper-sexualized (or honestly normal) mind and the idea of how funny it is that we all have genitals, and they are all just there, sitting in our pants while we do our day to day tasks and ignore them (most of the time). She's the kind of funny where you can't tell if she is serious or joking, my favorite kind. She took me off guard and ever since I've been a fan.

4. "Dave Chappelle: The Age of Spin"

i.ytimg.com

This one is for my standup junkies. If you don't know who Dave Chappelle is I feel bad for you because I know you haven't ever laughed as hard as I have. This man has the ability to flawlessly make fun of every kind of person you can imagine. He says what we are all thinking in the best way possible. He was recently awarded the Mark Twain prize (the highest award applicable for standup comedy) and is truly an artist, and dare I say the best standup of our time. I guarantee you will go down a Dave Chappelle binge sinkhole after this second episode of one of his standup series. Also if you watch this we will have a lot of inside jokes in common, so that's a plus too.

5. "Jeffrey Epstein: Filthy Rich"

images.immediate.co.uk

Watch each episode. Do it. And after the very last one DM me about whether you think he actually did take his own life or not because I have a pretty good theory. Besides my addiction to conspiracies this documentary also feeds into my obvious true crime cravings, diving into the life of the billionaire Jeffrey Epstein and b*tch of a hench-woman Ghiselle Maxwell, who is now conveniently locked up after Netflix exposed the pair in this doc.

6. "Modern Love"

images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com

I mean who doesn't love love? If you want to get in your feels and maybe try something besides the Notebook for the 34th time, give this short series a shot. Based on the New York Times column that follows love around New York City, this show has an iconic cast that changes every episode which is bound to impress you. Episodes tell the stories of loving relationships that are familial, friendships, gay, straight, young, and old. It's a peek of light, and we all need some vitamin D right now. This series touches my achy breaky little heart and yes, it makes me shed a tear every once in a while.

7. "Rick and Morty Season 4"

nationalpostcom.files.wordpress.com

Another one for the giggles. I feel like a lot of us have already watched this but I am going to throw this in there because it is actually one of my favorite shows, regardless of the hype. Summer is growing on me too btw. Snuggle up with your friend Mary and I promise you'll chuckle. This show also makes me weirdly emotional and does pull at the heartstrings so prepare to somehow get invested into these cartoon characters' lives... The animators somehow are able to match the writer's extreme relativity and I don't think any show can truly compare. I didn't think the fourth season could top 1-3 but they must've upped their budget or something because now the music makes it even better. It's like Family Guy, South Park, and Space Balls had a baby. Love it.

8. "High fidelity"

img4.hulu.com

Similar to Sex in the City we receive a constant narration throughout the series, but this time its Zoe Kravitz. Just saying that name alone should convince you to watch. The Brooklyn native walks us through her past relationships which are cringy, funny, and some quite awful, but above all, extremely relatable. Try it out.

9. "Unsolved Mysteries"

media.newsmonkey.be

Okay, okay, okay, I know I know! Another true crime docu-series are you kidding me? No. I am not. They are unsolved mysteries..like how could I not watch this. Real cases, that are still unsolved. These people have just gone missing for years and the cases are still open. But this is the stuff that really gets me going its boggles my mind to know that there are people out there who have committed horrendous crimes and have single-handedly avoided the law. I ask myself How?! Where?! Why?! and How?! again. You will too.

10. "Bombshell"

upload.wikimedia.org

Who doesn't love filling an hour and a half with blonde bombshells? Fox president Roger Ailes and Bill O'Reilly that's for sure. I have wanted to watch this movie for a while because my Wolf of Wall Street obsessed self can't get away from the dream of a woman that is Margot Robbie. Besides Robbie, the cast is star-studded, Nicole Kidman and Kate McKinnon, I'll throw it a watch. This movie does more than just dive into the absurdly sexist corporation that is Fox News, it is funny and interesting while simultaneously extremely frustrating, just like Fox News, eh? eh? A look into the lives of sexual assault and harassment victims in corporate America and the aggressive and terrifying hoops they have to jump through to ensure their safety and wellbeing. Who doesn't love a good underdog story? And once again, Margot Robbie.

I hope I helped your search for your next binge-watching session come to an end as that is what I do best. Also please don't get mad at me for shading John B in the intro. Let me know if you have already watched any of these and agree or disagree with my opinion, or decide to watch any and love them or hate them. I am intrigued as to if my idea of quality entertainment differs from those who, well, are reading this right now.