There Really Isn't Any Room To Be Bashing Other People's Interests
Lifestyles

Whether it's pumpkin spice, avocado, or being excited for Halloween at the beginning of September.

121

It's now the beginning of September, which means that everyone is becoming excited about "Pumpkin Spice season" to start soon and for Halloween which is right around the corner... well, almost everyone. Of course, for every person that is legitimately excited for Autumn to start, there's one person that is shouting at the top of their lungs that it's still the beginning of September and that Autumn doesn't start until September 22nd this year. Autumn is usually the time for those deemed to be "basic white girls" by society to embrace the things they love, but some people still have a problem with it.

Several years ago, this started as an innocent joke poking fun at the basic white girl stereotypes. I never had that much of a problem with the jokes since people have been playfully poking fun at stereotypes for a long time, but in recent years it has gotten to the point where a lot of people are bashing these girls simply for liking these things, whether it's pumpkin spice, avocado, or being excited for Halloween at the beginning of September. It's starting to get out of hand at this point and it needs to stop.

I just want to clarify something; if you don't like any of these things, that's entirely okay. Not everyone likes everything and no one has any obligation to like everything. I'll admit that I don't like avocado and the only pumpkin spice flavored things I legitimately like are the cookies and the donuts. However, if someone does like these things, I have no right to tell someone that they're stupid for liking them, just like no one has a right to tell someone that they're stupid for not liking these things.

I'll admit myself that while I don't like a lot of "white girl" things, I also do like a lot of "white girl" things; for example, I always get super pumped for Halloween whenever it comes closer because getting to dress up in costumes still fills me up with a lot of joy. I also love to wear Uggs during the colder months of the year because they're warm and comfy. I understand that I wouldn't enjoy being talked down on for liking Halloween or Uggs, so I would never talk down on other girls who like avocado or pumpkin spice everything.

Everyone likes different things and that's okay. Seeing the internet turn an innocent joke into a full-out burn book targeting certain people is a worrying feeling that needs to stop. Making harmless jokes is completely okay but no one should be bashing on other people just because they like something you don't like or they don't like something you like. Everyone is different and has different interests and we should embrace that. Instead of bashing on others for the things they don't like, we should encourage others to embrace the things they love.