Do I personally think women should have high standards? Yes. You and I both deserve the best, and the only way to get the best is by expecting the best. There is however, a distinct difference between having high standards and unrealistic standards. For example, if a woman only dated guys who had a 4.0 in high school and college, cooks every night, does chores around the house, is exactly 6’5" and plays the clarinet, she would be looking for love for a very long time. Some women have a “dream husband”, someone who they imagine they will marry who possesses all the traits they love the most and none of the ones they hate. Does your dream husband actually exist? Maybe he does, maybe he doesn’t. Maybe he has every trait you love in a man, but he yells at his mom. Is that a deal breaker for you, or are you willing to move past it?

Having high standards isn’t necessarily about creating a list of things a man must have, but it is more about creating a list of things for which you won’t settle. Personally, if I were dating a guy who yelled at his mom, there’d be an issue because I recognize the fact that he doesn’t have the respect for his parents that he should, which could potentially lead to him not properly respecting me.

I’ve had high standards since I had my first crush. When I was younger, I set high standards for the physical attributes of the boys I liked, but as I’ve gotten older and more mature, I’ve realized that what’s on the inside matters most. There are a few key areas to assess when considering entering a serious relationship with someone. (I’m definitely not an expert, but these are just my opinions): 1. Religious views. Do you mind being in a relationship with someone who has completely different beliefs or does faith matter to you at all? 2. Life goals. Which is more important, family or career? And where do you fit into his life plan? 3. Views on what makes a relationship happy and healthy. What do you each believe are key factors to successful relationships? Obviously you’ll have different opinions on some things and that’s okay, but it is good to have similar views on the things that matter most to each of you.

Be with someone who has the same morals and values as you. Be with someone who is willing to invest his whole self into you. Be with someone who you are proud to introduce to your friends and family. Don’t settle for a substandard boyfriend just to say you have a boyfriend. Date someone who treats you like a queen, is respectful, and has good manners. Ultimately, just know your worth and know that you deserve someone who brings out the best in you and will love you unconditionally.

“Never apologize for having high standards. People who really want to be in your life will rise up to meet them.” –Ziad K. Abdelnour