Dear Friends

Dear Friends

Short letters to quality friends.
71

College is hard for multiple reasons, and for me one of the hardest things has been finding people to pursue genuine friendships with. Compared to last year, my freshman year, this fall semester has been incredibly different. Not only class wise and living wise, but friendship wise as well. That goes to say that it's not a bad thing, but more so that it was unexpected. For me, and for others I'm sure, friendships are something I take very seriously. My general rule is to be nice to everyone which results in a lot of good acquaintances. However there is a strong line between knowing someone and actually knowing someone. Going into this semester my goal was to continue to cultivate the friendships I made last year and make some new ones as well. Though I have been "successful" in a sense, my social anxiety has made it very difficult. I have been so thankful for the people who have chosen to stand by me through my struggles. Nothing is meant to last forever and tomorrow is never promised, but as of now I'm glad and thankful for your friendship. In the past I have written letters to named people, hobbies, and even the seasons. So this time here are some short letters to the friends I feel I'm closest to. No names will be mentioned, but to the people they're for me, you'll know which is your.

Dear Friend,

I don't think I've ever been more thankful to be lost then the day of our first adventure. From the beginning I knew we'd be friends. You're sweet and joyous spirit radiates from you. There are so many good moments filled with laughter and good conversation. All of our adventures have been one for the books, and I can't wait for the next one. I admire the way you love the Lord and want to pursue your passion to follow Him. You are a constant encouragement to me and never shy away from telling me the truth. Thank you for comforting me when my anxiety is running rampant, and carrying me the time I couldn't lift a muscle; I know I can trust you. I'm sad you're so far away, but hopefully next year that'll change. You are such a fantastic person and I hope you know that. I'm extremely blessed to call you my best friend. Keep on smiling and loving the Lord like you do!

Your friend,

Kam

P.S.

Did you know you're tall?

-

Dear Friend,

Wow are we a pairing! When we're together we're definitely too much for the world to handle at once. Becoming closer friends with you this year has been a blessing. From our inside jokes, to over dramatic moments, and everything in between my life has surely never been a bore. You are the Ryan Gosling to my Blake Lively and I can't imagine having a better friend to be ridiculous with. That goes to say, I know this semester hasn't been quite the breeze for us, but your willingness to stick by me means a lot. I hope you know how much I care because I do. You are an amazing person and friend. I know you have a hard time believing it sometime, but you are and I will continue to remind you of it. Thanks again for always being there... and I can't wait till we become old maids and live across from each other!

Your Friend,

Kam

-

Dear Friend,

Our friendship was most unexpected, but I am grateful for it. For me, trust came naturally and with that came the knowledge of my baggage. Your willingness to sit and listen even if it's at odd hours of the day or night, you are greatly appreciated. Our conversations are what I value the most because I know you're listening by your thoughtful response. Though the topics of our conversing can sometimes be uncomfortable they are very much needed. You give me truth and conviction when I need to hear it. You're an overall kola-lity person, and I'm still trying to figure out how you can stand to stick around for along as you have. You are quite possibly dorkier than I, and I didn't think it was possible from shared music tastes, to similar humor, and appreciation for intelligent things. The only major critique I have for you is your insistence upon tainting your coffee with cream. Why would one ever want to ruin something so pure and good?! Anyways, the list of 'thank you's' I have for you is long and ever growing, and that statement will hold true for as long as we're friends.

Your Friend,

Kam

-

Dear Friend,

You technically don't even go here, but it has definitely not stopped our friendship. You are one of my favorite humans, and I am so thankful God put you in my life. In our personal struggles we were able to support and comfort each other because we understood what the other was going through. Your heart for the Lord is incredible, and being able to see you change your life, for the better, has been amazing and inspiring. I am so, so proud of all of your accomplishments and victories over the enemy. God is good! I cannot wait to see you again! The reunion will certainly be one for the books. The world better watch out because the amount of extraness sure to be unleashed will be great. You bring lots of joy to my life and I am thankful for all of our memories, good and bad.

Your Friend,

Kam

P.S.

I'll be expecting another (bigger) box of Chick-fi-la sauce next semester:)

-

To all my other close friends,

Thank you for the laughter, crazy hangouts, odd happenings, and moments of comfort. You are a wonderful part of my life, and I just thought you should know that. You accept me as I am, and I couldn't ask for more.