Share Tables help eliminate waste and feed the hungry.

9 Ways Share Tables Benefit Students

Don't waste food, share it!

325
9 Ways Share Tables Benefit Students

Share Tables have started popping up in school cafeterias over the past few years, but it is a program which should be implemented across the country. The premise is simple: students can drop off any unwanted, non-perishable food item they receive at lunch and pick up a different item in exchange. Share Tables benefit not only the students at the schools but the larger communities in which they are situated. Recently, Texas passed a bill allowing schools to implement the program, so it's time to talk about its benefits of it and why schools should adopt Share Tables.

1. There is less wasted food

Rather than throwing out their food, students are encouraged to share it with one another and help their peers out. Turns out, students were more than willing to share their food with their classmates.

2. Unwanted food is redistributed

Instead of ending up in a landfill, the unused food is redistributed to the larger community. This includes donating the food to food banks or churches, to be distributed to the poor who are in greater need.

3. Some programs provide food for students' families

Schools that don't partner with a charity send food home to parents who struggle the most to help them out with a basic need.

4. Share Tables positively influence students

Rather than keeping the food to themselves and then throwing it out, or playing with it if they don't want it, students are able to make conscious decisions to help out others around them. Since the program is reciprocal, a student can only take an item if they leave an item, they are conscious of the way reciprocity works for exchanging one good for another. They are taught instead of throwing away food, they should repurpose it to the best degree possible.

5. Students have more options for food

Since a student can drop off an unwanted item for one they prefer, they are able to enjoy their lunch and eat something which wasn't initially available. Also, since some students either receive too little, they can choose to switch an item to be able to eat a bigger lunch.

6. The program puts the student in charge

The Share Table program puts the decision-making factor about food into the students' hands and allows them to make decisions benefiting them and their peers.

7. Improves community relations

The schools that partner with food pantries, churches, and charities to help feed the poor have had an astronomical impact on how many people are fed every day.

8. Allows students to choose foods not available at home

Since many parents struggle to make ends meet, some students may not always eat varied, nutritious meals at home so they can use this program to pick up items they're missing out on or want instead.

9. Eliminates lunchroom stigmas

Those who cannot afford big lunches or don't have a lot to bring from home can benefit by picking up free food left behind by their peers without feeling like others are watching them. In fact, most people aren't fazed by the share tables and embrace them as a natural part of the cafeteria.

It would be great if this program were implemented across the country and even across the globe. Not only are students learning the value of food and the realities of food waste, but they are also saving the environment. Students are also learning the value of sharing and taking care of their fellow classmates.