8 Reasons To Try Hot Yoga

8 Reasons To Try Hot Yoga

Shake Your Asana

16
8 Reasons To Try Hot Yoga

A room heated to about 95 degrees full of hot, sweaty people-- what could be better?

I'm sure many of you have all heard of the zen and yogi-bliss that yoga induces. It is true, there is a science behind why you feel so happy after a yoga session. However, if you want to amplify that feeling x10 and do a lot of good for body, hot yoga is the next thing for you. So, here are 8 reasons why you should try hot yoga!

1. Hot yoga burns A LOT of calories.

A standard hour-long yoga session will burn a between 150 and 300 calories. However, a hot yoga class can burn upwards of 450 to 600 calories. The heat puts more of a demand on your body and its systems which contributes to this massive loss of calories.

2. Besides being an awesome calorie buster, the heat involved in hot yoga is great for your muscles.

It allows anyone, not matter their level or experience, to stretch deeper and hold poses that typically prove to be difficult. For example, I usually find balancing lunges difficult because I can't keep my footing, but in hot yoga I find I feel much stronger and my muscles are more stable.

3. You get a huge rush of those feel good endorphins.

Believe it or not, there is a science behind why you feel so blissed out on the mat. Yoga focuses on a total mind-body connection - basically the cells in your body are communicating with each other and you leave feeling connected from head to toe. From my experiences, that feeling is amplified during hot yoga because I know I'm doing something great for my body and I'm having fun.

4. You can feel totally awesome by looking the part, too.

It may be a bit superficial, but once I'm dressed in my yoga gear, I cant wait to hit the mat and strike a few poses.

5. It focuses your mind and regulates your breathing.

The heat is essential in relaxing the muscles in your body. It also relaxes the mind which makes focusing on each breath easier. This in turn makes moving into different poses and holding them comfortably less of a challenge.

6. Little by little, you will build strength.

The greatest joy I have gotten from yoga has been seeing myself get a bit stronger with each session. Repeatedly targeting the same muscles in a variety of ways develops balance and strength. With enough practice you'll be doing awesome headstands and arm balances in no time.

7. You can take your friends to hot yoga!

Once your friends hear that you go to hot yoga, they will become interested and wonder what it's all about. It is a perfect opportunity to introduce them to a new activity and have a great time doing something together.

8. Hot yoga instills in you discipline and responsibility.

It is kind of like an addiction - once you start you don't really want to stop doing it. It becomes part of your routine and soon the dedication you have put into yoga affects other parts of your life. Balance becomes easier to find and the same perseverance you use to master poses pushes you to go further in work and school, too.

In short, hot yoga is a practice that has so many benefits, so what's stopping you from trying it?