Seven Tips to Survive the First Week of College

There's a time and a place for everything, it's called college!

3
Pexels.com

You finally say the last goodbye to your parents and it is official. You are a college student! You may be full of a billion emotions, but I promise everything will be okay. This strange place called a dorm will be home soon enough, and your fifteen credits will begin to feel like an old routine. The first few days will be new territory, but here are seven tips to help you get through your first week!

1. Get organized

College courses are structured differently than the standard high school classes. The assignments are bigger and there is less fluff to help your grade. Get a planner and schedule out your days, that way you never miss a class or a due date. Your transcript will thank you once the letter "A" is printed on it.

2. Know where your classes are

Your dorm room may be small, but odds are the campus is huge. Take time to walk around and scout out where your classes will be. Being on time to class is important and taking this precautionary step will help you in the long run. Trust me, you don't want to have all eyes on you as you take the last seat in the room.

3. Make some friends

Having a group of people around you is a great way to grow in college. There are thousands of potential friends to be made on campus. Whether it be your new roommate or someone you met at lunch, it's important to be social. Networking is also an important aspect to the college lifestyle. The people you meet now might become your life-long friends and even coworkers.

4. Join a club

This is one great way to be active on campus. Meeting people that have the same interests will make you feel at home. Try to make it to your school's club fair and find where you belong; besides, I'm sure you want to do more than just study and sleep. You may even have to opportunity to walk out on a limb and try something new! The opportunities are endless.

5. Go to an event

There are dozens of things to do on campus during the first days of school. Fall sports begin right when school starts and games are an easy place to find entertainment. Dress in up your new campus colors and cheer on your fellow classmates. Sporting events aren't the only thing going on either! Keep an eye out for other events like barbecues or a tie dye socials and remember, the more the merrier!

6. Meet your professors

In a lecture hall that may be full of hundreds of student, it's important to stand out. Go up to the professor after the first class and introduce yourself-- help them put a face to a name. Some may be crotchety old men, but remember they hold the power of the grade book.

7. Decorate your room

Being miles away from home doesn't mean you can't feel like you are at home. Try and make your dorm as comfortable as possible with pillows, pictures, and posters. I would recommend trying to rearrange the furniture one way or another. Cinder block walls really put a damper on things, but with a few decorations you can make this place your home.