12 Things I Learned My First Week of College

Learning by living is the way to go.

162
Nerdist.com

It's hard to believe that just a week ago I packed up my life into about thirteen boxes, said good-bye to my family and beloved puppies, and moved to a new place with a plethora of new people. I settled into a new schedule with new habits and a new social environment that I'm still getting used to. Between the new people, new food, and new activities it's hard to feel collected and adjusted completely. But I find that just the fact of being thrown into a whole new setting in such a short period of time has helped me learn a whole lot my first week as a college freshman. Like the fact that:

1. You will wait in the longest lines for package pick-up.

Everyone is getting their last-minute Amazon, Ebay, and care package shipments. So just hold tight and bring some entertainment for the wait in line.

2. Trying to look cute for the first couple of classes gets old super quick.

After the first week, I was exhausted. I was barely able to wake up in enough time to brush my teeth, let alone spend time picking the perfect outfit for class. That being said...

3. No one will judge you if you show up wearing pajamas.

They're comfortable. And low maintenance. No judgement whatsoever.

4. You will survive the lack of air conditioning.

The 92 degree weather may seem impossible to sleep through, but you quickly learn that fans are your best friend, that keeping the window open is a must, and that the heat really does only last a couple of weeks (it's been lovely the past couple of days-- Fall is definitely in the air!)

5. There are plenty of free things.

Seriously. Grab all of the free things. No questions asked.

6. You will hear a lot of loud noises at night.

People are finally at college and thus, finally allowed to party. There is yelling, there is music, and there is thumping. I can only hope that I'll get used to it, and that my giant box fan will continue to drown out the sound when I need sleep the most.

7. You will forget to eat.

Assignments happen. You get lost scrolling on Facebook. That tuna sandwich leftover gets forgotten and will probably die a slow death in the mini fridge. *Shrug*

8. Wearing pants/shirts in the dorm becomes optional.

It's hot, and it is definitely more about the physical discomfort than the "ahhhh my roomie is gonna walk in with no pants on" discomfort.

9. You become fully aware that you are responsible for you.

Sure, your parents can send you things and text you what you need to survive, but in the end it's you who has to keep track of syllabi, you who has to actually get up to go put food in your body, you who has to hit the gym, and you who has to wake up on time. It's wonderfully liberating, but you gotta jump on the Bandwagon of Responsibility.

10. The library becomes your best friend.

It's serene and comfy and often an easier place to nap in than your dorm room.

11. Naps become your ultra-best friend.

Whether they're 30 minutes or an hour, they are VALUABLE. Keep them secret, keep them safe.

12. Communication is key.

Be that with your best friend, romantic partner, professor, roommate, or parents, be sure to keep lines open and be clear and concise about what you want/need. It will be your lifeline for the next four years.