Separation at College Only Twins Will Understand

We were born together and will be best friends forever.

14

"Today you left. The time we have been preparing for is finally here. Watching you pack up all your stuff just made me want to put it all pack where it came from. Although I am not ready to be separated from you... I will be. Il will be ready when I see that you are thriving in your classes, meeting new friends, and enjoying your freshman year of college. I will miss you more than you know. Don't forget to call. "

Life growing up with you was by no means easy, but I wouldn't have wanted to grow up with anyone else...my fraternal twin sister.

There came a time when you no longer wanted to dress the same, thought it was okay to steal my clothes, wanted to find new friends, and most of all, you desired to become your own person.

I think as twins you are expected to be the same- according to the ridiculous stereotypes, but it is quite the opposite. Despite our many differences, we go together like peanut butter and jelly.

Being without my best friend, I miss a few things...

Seeing you in my classes.

I am so used to walking to class and seeing your face as I enter the room. If we were given a choice to pick a partner for group projects, you knew I would always come to your side. Though I may not say it often as I should, I always looked up to you. You were one of the most intelligent and genuine human beings I have ever known. Now who is going to help me with homework?

Always having you in my friend group.

The time has come where we both have to make completely new friends without each other. Almost everything I did with friends was also with your friends. You taught me what a true friend should be: genuine, caring, trustworthy, funny, and understanding. I thank you for that.

Having someone who understands me so deeply.

There has never been or ever will be a time when I won't come to you first. I have never trusted anyone so whole heartedly. You never sugar coat anything, but that is what I love most. I know you are only brutally honest because you want the absolute best for me. Instead of running next door, I now have to text or call and patiently wait for you to answer.

Never feeling alone when it comes to the next chapter in life.

You will always be right next to me as we face our next phase of life. From potty training, to drivers education, to graduation, I know I can always find you cheering me on right next to me. Now that college has rolled around, you are on your own time schedule. You can go anywhere in life from here on out, just don't forget to take me with you on your journey.

Having my best friend with me all the time.

I always took having around for granted. It was a great feeling to always have someone to go for a walk, watch a movie, go to sporting events, head to the beach, or just have a simple conversation with at a moments reach. There has never been a boring moment with you around.

It has taken time to adjust, but I am finally accepting that it was time for us to go off on our own. All these memories I will hold close to my heart and remember them when I am missing you more than usual.