Self Care Tips That Actually Get The Job Done.

12 Self-Care Tips That Actually Work In 2019

Love yourself.

185

I will be totally honest with you. I have not been the poster child for taking care of myself for the last 20 years. I eat like garbage, I rarely ever take a vitamin, and I don't work out as I should. So I am always getting sick, always in a bad mood, and always feeling like garbage.

By the end of 2018, I was tired of never looking or feeling my best, so I decided to hop on the self-care train. In the last couple of weeks, I have found things that work and things that don't. So I figured I'd share the ones that work with you.

1. Essential oil diffuser

c1.staticflickr.com

I have one and I swear by it. Different oils are good for different reasons. But in general, diffusers are good for the improvement of mood, sleep, and mental clarity. They also help keep you from getting or staying sick!

Pro tip: You can even find these at 5 Below and they work wonders.

2. Face masks

upload.wikimedia.org

I live and die by using a face mask up to three times a week. They're a simple and affordable way to make your skin look and feel better.

Pro tip: These are 2 for $5 at almost every Walmart. Or you can make your own super cheap!

3. Moisturizer

c1.staticflickr.com

Dry skin is unhealthy skin. Especially in the winter months. Invest in a quality moisturizer that keeps your skin feeling fresh, soft, and protected against the elements.

Pro tip: I recommend light-weight or oil-free moisturizer so it doesn't build up on your skin and cause pimples or irritation.

4. Regular exercise

c1.staticflickr.com

A healthy body is a healthy mind. Do some yoga, go for a jog, hit the gym. Get up and moving a couple of times a week to get your blood flowing to your brain and get to feeling better.

5. Salt lamps

upload.wikimedia.org

I have a slat lamp at home and I love it. They're meant to improve air quality and your mood.

Pro tip: snag these from Walmart too. They're a little pricey, but worth it.

6. Drink more water and less caffeine

c1.staticflickr.com

Stay hydrated. It keeps your organs healthy and happy and your skin clear.

Pro tip: I recommend a reusable water bottle so you can refill throughout the day.

7. Sleep

upload.wikimedia.org

I know it's nearly impossible to sleep enough, but seriously. Do yourself a favor and get 8-10 hours of sleep whenever possible. You'll be more alert, much less groggy, and a lot less likely to feel terrible all of the time. Naps are also a great idea.

Pro tip: Ten-minute naps are no bueno. That hurts more than it helps. Take at least an hour.

8. Eat better

c1.staticflickr.com

Eat your veggies, kids. Stay away from unnecessary fats, sugars, and caffeine. The better you feed your body, the better it feels and the more productive you are.

Pro tip: Veggie burgers or turkey burgers are tasty and healthy.

9. Put away technology

upload.wikimedia.org

Turn your phone off every once in a while. Connect with the people around you, take time to get lost in your thoughts, maybe go outside. You don't need to stay connected to your Snapchat 24 hours a day. I promise.

Pro tip: turn it off at least an hour before bed to let your brain unwind.

10. Journaling

c1.staticflickr.com

Release all of your inner thoughts and feelings. I love to journal. It's a safe and healthy outlet for all of my stresses in life and it's also a good reminder of the progress I've made since I started writing it all out.

11. Deep condition your hair

c1.staticflickr.com

Your hair deserves some love too! Throw some deep conditioner in it, sit back, and relax.

Pro tip: Try not to use heavy conditioners that take forever to wash out. Look for deep conditioners that are closer to benefiting your specific hair type.

12. Get a massage

upload.wikimedia.org

It doesn't have to be a super expensive fancy one. It could just be your significant other in your living room. Either way, relax those muscles and get those kinks worked out.