You Are Valued And Important So Treat Yourself With These 21 Self Care Tips This Year

Ways to Care for Yourself

201

We're already three weeks into the new year. I'll bet a solid $10 (DM me on Facebook for your Venmos if I'm wrong) that you've either a) broken one of your resolutions, or b) have taken literally zero time for yourself this year.

This year, my resolution was simple: care about myself more. I, and many people that I know focus on other people more than they focus on themselves. I know a lot of people that claim happiness but are stressed and falling asleep on their notebooks in the library at the end of the day.

Hopefully, you will realize the importance of taking care of yourself this year. And I hope that this article gives you a few pieces of advice on how to do so:

1. Save your money.

Money is tight, especially as a young adult. Don't go and splurge it on material goods this year because you think that they will make you feel better - it's nicer to see more digits in your bank account than it is items on your dresser. Trust me.

2. Remove anyone in your life that make you feel less than adequate.

Okay look, this is hard. It is. But it's something that you just have to do sometimes; especially when you realize that some of your "favorite" people are making you feel inadequate and under-appreciated.

3. Call your parents.

They've known you forever; if you're having a bad day, they'll know what to say. And if you're having a good day? They'll praise you for any little accomplishment you are proud of.

4. Cleanse your social media.

Delete the tags of yourself in the pictures you feel self-conscious in. Unfollow that girl from high school whose life is too perfect and pisses you off. Block your ex. Delete your old selfies. Whatever you have to do, be able to check your Insta and be happy.

5. Be mindful of who you swipe on Tinder.

Un-match the gross ones, read bios, and be mindful of all of their selfies so you know what they look like. Only swipe right on anyone you're 100% sure is not a fuck-boy.

6. Don't shop trends.

I still regret the six dollars I wasted on my old fidget spinner or the money I shelled out for a Kyle lipstick; like I said, save your money for the things that add value to your life.

7. Take yourself on a date.

Buy yourself some Chipotle and stop by Target for a face mask. Make yourself feel adequate if a significant other does not exist.

8. Buy a damn agenda.

Dude, don't deny that you haven't been in the library until it closes finishing up the project that you forgot about that's due tomorrow. Maybe if you had an agenda to write everything down in, your stress would alleviate by 5,000%.

9. Pick up old hobbies.

After high school, we all forget the things that brought us the most joy. Draw like you used to, read as much as you used to, or pick up your violin again. Trust me.

10. Delete bad memories.

Go through the pictures on your phone and delete your ex. Delete your old best friend, and the guy you thought you'd end up with. Now you won't see their faces and think about "what was", or "what could have been". Fuck that, it's the past.

11. Join extracurricular activities.

These open up opportunities: for your resume, for connections, for socialization. You'll be happy to be involved, rather than sitting alone in your room every night with nothing to do.

12. If you're not in college, volunteer.

Give back to your community, add value to the people around you - it's your neighborhood too, so make it a happy one.

13. Take care of your skin.

Boys have to moisturize too, and your skin will thank you - this reduces the risk of premature wrinkles, as well as acne. You'll feel better and look fresher with a cleansed face; honestly.

14. Reorganize your bedroom.

Clean out your closet or finally go through and match all your socks to their pairs. Move your bed beside the window so you can wake up to the sun every day, or finally hang up the tapestry you bought on Amazon.

15. Ladies, get yourself a new lingerie set.

Whether or not anyone will see it, having something that makes you feel feminine and sexy in is one of the best feelings in the world (but at least snap a few selfies).

16. Drink more water.

Your skin will thank you on this one, as well as the rest of your body. You are made of about 60% water; so take care of your body and keep yourself hydrated.

17. Go outside of your comfort zone.

So what if your VBO shows or you "hate the way your arms look in that top"? Wear that thing that you saw on Kyle Jenner or that body-con dress that you were gonna wear when you "slimmed down a bit". Who cares, dude? Rock that shit.

18. Be prepared.

Carry makeup wipes or a hairbrush. Make life easy for yourself and carry the things that you need every day, so you don't have to stress the little things and you can be ready for everything.

19. Stay caught up on social issues.

Stay updated with the news and read the articles that pop up on your Facebook; stay informed about the things that are going on. If you feel influenced, be an advocate. Reach out and do something; every voice counts.

20. Stay out of drama.

This is hard sometimes, because everyone gets caught up in things that they don't want to be caught up in. The best feeling is not letting the stressful drama bullshit of other people into your life: stay away from it, and worry about your own shit.

21. Care for yourself every day.

Take ten minutes out of your day to do something for yourself, whether it be a face mask or meditation. Do something for yourself for once; whether it be something that I listed above, or something that just makes you feel happy.

Remember: you are valued and important, so show yourself that you matter as much as the rest of the people in your world know that you are. Love yourself, and take care.