Self-Care Is Crucial

I tend to do a lot. I've gone from not only being a part of multiple organizations to holding major leadership positions in those multiple organizations. With being in a relationship, trying to maintain friendships from both high school and college, meetings, work and carrying out human bodily functions, it can be really hard to manage it all. Something has to go. Something has to suffer. Unfortunately, the thing that often suffers the most is self care.

Self care is crucial because, well, it's you. You can't do anything if you're too tired, miserable or sick. You can't give your all if you're only holding on by a thread.

The biggest lesson that I've learned is that taking time for yourself is important. If you don't, everyone who is depending on you will be let down. It may seem like taking time for yourself is selfish, but if you're not at your best then neither is your work. If your work isn't it's best, then what use are you?

If you're tired and worn out, then you'll be grumpy. You won't be thinking clearly. You won't be able to concentrate. The quality of your work and relationships will decline exponentially.

In a fast paced, busy world, remembering to take care of yourself can be difficult. I'm not talking mani/pedis or getting your hair done at a salon. I'm not talking about spa days. I mean simply taking a shower—having the time to wash your hair more than once in a two week period. Eat breakfast, and don't just chug coffee, I mean really eat breakfast. Have some fruit, fiber and veggies every single day. Don't just grab the easiest or quickest thing to eat, especially if it's unhealthy. Turn off your phone for at least one hour of the day. Give yourself a break. Rest.

If you find yourself fantasizing about just resting in bed, staring at the wall and doing pretty much nothing, then it might just be time to take a break. Not every second of the day has to be incredibly productive. I've had to learn that the hard way.

I've learned that self care isn't really selfish, at least not in a negative or narcissistic way. We all need breaks. If my iPhone needs to recharge everyday, then so do I. In the midst of all our busy schedules and to-do lists, maybe our most important task should be to take a break from tasks.