8 Self-Care Techniques For The Busy College Student

Our first priority is to take care of ourselves and our mental health, no matter how much work you have to do. You come first.

111

I feel like ambitious girls I see on campus give themselves a hard time. They work so hard they forget to sleep, eat, or most importantly, take a moment for themselves. Self-care is extremely personalized, but I've learned a lot from my friends, speakers, and self-care pages on Instagram. I thought I could share the love and share some recommendations.

1. Deep breathing and meditation

We've heard this before: "Breathe in through your nose and out through your mouth." Focus on your breath to clear your head and get back on that grind.

2. Journaling and agendas

My father taught me to take myself out of the situation when I feel overwhelmed. He suggested writing it all down to see your thoughts. Make a to-do list in your planner to organize your priorities, or write about why you're stressed and how you're going to overcome it.

3. Talk to somebody

It's okay to ask for help sometimes. Whether you need advice or simply someone to listen while you collect your thoughts, there is always someone willing to help. Call a trusted family member, friend or schedule an appointment with the counseling center on campus. There is no shame in saying you're not feeling like your best self.

Syracuse University Counseling Center

4. Exercise  

Running and going to the gym are popular stress relievers. Even if you're not the most athletic (like myself), there is an exercise made for you, whether that's dance, barre, yoga, or simply taking a walk. Any time you invest in your body, you're investing in your mental health too, and that's what self-care is all about.

5. Music

You can't control every stressful variable, but you can choose what to listen to. Music is connected to feelings. Set a playlist for yourself, whether it's a confidence-boosting pop, calm, acoustic covers, or fun rap music to lift your mood up.

6. Staying warm

Socks, blankets, coffee, tea- anything warm will do! I was recently introduced to a microwaveable rice bag. It's basically what it sounds like- rice put in a mini pillowcase that you can heat up in the microwave. The weight and heat relax tense muscles and putting it on your chest feels like a comforting hug.

If you're intrigued, here is a list of heating pads on Amazon.

7. Skincare and beauty routine

Take care of your skin with a face mask or extending your beauty routine before you go to sleep. Some of my favorites are clay or sheet masks, taking a longer shower, and using a scented lotion.

8. Treat yourself

Plan a personal date with yourself. That could be going shopping, getting a cup of coffee, or staying in to watch Netflix or catch up on some well-needed sleep. It's important to spend time with yourself to reflect in a place where you are constantly surrounded by people.

Figuring out what self-care means to you takes some time. We cannot neglect our individual mental status or health because of grades and other college priorities. Taking care of yourself is the first step to prevent a burnout. You will make more progress and accomplish more without sacrificing your well being.