10 Bible Verses For The Control Freak

10 Bible Verses For The Control Freak

(And confessions from a worrywart.)

4053
10 Bible Verses For The Control Freak
pinimg.com

Most times, being a child of God and follower of Jesus is hard. Handing over burdens, laying them down at the feet of the cross, and fully putting trust in the Lord during times of uncertainty is so difficult.

Admittedly, I am the world's biggest control freak.

I hate when I don't have the answers. I hate feeling as though I'm not in control, or as though my life is spiraling without direction, even when I am trying to pursue the path of the creator. Most times, I find myself like Jacob, arguing and wrestling with the Lord. Like many, I just want to know the master plan. I want to understand why certain stages of life hurt so darn much, or why I didn't get a "yes" on what I really wanted, and perhaps admittedly thought was best for me.

Dear friend, if you feel out of place, burdened, uncertain about your future, unsure about where to turn, let me encourage you in saying that you are EXACTLY where God wants you. You are not out of place, because walking with the Lord means that you are ALWAYS in place to walking towards where the Lord hopes you'll be. He is near to you. The author of life and creator of the universe is near, He loves you, and He hears you.

As a total control freak, I've spent a lot of time in prayer and scripture recently about God's will for my life. Along the way, I have been so astounded by the Lord's faithfulness in His promises for the goodness He desires for my future and my life. Below are 10 pieces of scripture that may encourage you if you're anything like me (a total control-freak-worry-wart-extraordinaire):

1. Proverbs 16:1: "The plans of the heart belong to man, but the answer of the tongue is from the Lord."

Although we can make plans and create our "perfect" life scenarios, the Lord is ultimately holding the reins. His answers and His ways, however, are greater than anything we could ever fathom. Sometimes it simply takes patience to watch His works and goodness take root.

2. Matthew 6:34: "Therefore do not be anxious about tomorrow, for tomorrow will be anxious for itself. Sufficient for the day is its own trouble."

The Lord desires for us to trust in His ways. He will provide--so do not anxious about tomorrow, but rest in your blessings today.

3. Isaiah 41:10: "Fear not, for I am with you; be not dismayed, for I am your God; I will strengthen you, I will help you, I will uphold you with my righteous right hand."

"Fear Not" is repeated in the Bible several hundred times. We are worrisome creatures by nature, but Jesus wants us to be strengthened, upheld, uplifted, and sustained through Him alone. When we cannot stand, He will be the strength. When we cannot walk, He will carry us. Regardless of the desert you're walking through or the storm you're eying down, He is always behind you. He hems you in, behind and before.

4. John 10:10: "The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy; I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full."

Jesus does not just want us to go through the motions of life and living each day. He craves a life for us that is anything BUT normal, average, or mundane; He craves a life for all of us that is overflowing, full, abundant, and abounding through Him.

5. Isaiah 55:8-9: “For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways,” declares the Lord. “As the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts."

His ways are forever higher, greater, and stronger than ours. To fathom a world where His plans are the reality for our lives means giving it all over to Him...the good, the bad, and the ugly, along with every in-between. He will make beauty from the ashes.

6. 2 Corinthians 4:8-10: "We are hard pressed on every side, but not crushed; perplexed, but not in despair; persecuted, but not abandoned; struck down, but not destroyed. We always carry around in our body the death of Jesus, so that the life of Jesus may also be revealed in our body."

It is true that we may face trials. It is true that we may face uncertainty. We will endure difficulty, anxiety, and even despair. But each of these pales so greatly in comparison to the power of Christ that lives within each and every one of us--His grace and His love overshadows it all.

7. Psalm 9:10: "And those who know your name put their trust in you, for you, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek you."

Just as those who seek Him will find Him, those who seek Him will never be forsaken by Him. He promises good and beautiful things--our God is so much better than "average". He is big, He is good, and He will not leave us grasping, aching, or desiring for more. His goodness and love not only fulfills, but overwhelms.

8. Jeremiah 29:11: "For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord, plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future."

Under His will and dominion, nothing is impossible. Goodness, hope, and joy will come to those who believe in Him.

9. 2 Peter 3:9: "The Lord is not slow in keeping his promise, as some understand slowness. Instead he is patient with you, not wanting anyone to perish, but everyone to come to repentance."

As stated before, the Lord is so good...sometimes it may take a short while for us to understand His will, but He is patient and enduring. He desires a relationship with every single one of us--we are never "too far gone." He loves you, takes such joy in you, and desires to fill you up with His goodness.

10. Hebrews 10:36: "You need to persevere so that when you have done the will of God, you will receive what he has promised."

Finally, perseverance can seem impossible in the face of uncertainty. But God's promises are bold, and they are beautiful. Enduring this life of trials and persevering through seasons of difficulty will result in the greatest reward of all: abundant and everlasting life, alongside our creator.