Working For SCCA At Rowan University Was One Of My Best Decisions Yet

To the office that makes me excited to wake up in the morning

170
Rowan SCCA

As many of my friends and family know, my freshman year at Rowan University did not go the smoothest.

I was probably about a week or two away from transferring to a school closer to home. The most important time in my decision process that first semester was around Thanksgiving. A few weeks into November I skimmed my Rowan Announcer as we all do and saw something that caught my eye.

It read “Photographers and Videographers wanted at the Office of Student Activities” (OSA). It’s important to know that I am a RTF major on campus and since RTF majors cannot start film classes until sophomore year I was feeling like I didn’t have any projects to work on so I felt like I didn’t have a purpose. I figured that I had nothing to lose when applying for the position so I went for it.

I was familiar with OSA because through the semester I had been volunteering with the Student University Programs (SUP) which puts events on like their weekly movie nights, Last Lecture, and more famously events like Hollybash and RoGlow which is co-sponsored by RAH.

In this club, I volunteered with the Technical Services committee which did the lighting and all of the sound work for its events. I made friends with people in the committee like the Director of that committee as well as Katie, Colin and Alyssa who this year are my new roommates.

Although I was familiar with the office I was worried that I wouldn’t get the position because I didn't think I was good enough. After interviewing, I got the position and since then I can happily say that I have never been so excited to go to work. In working for the newly named Student Center and Campus Activities (SCCA) I have had the pleasure of getting to know some of the most interesting people.

The marketing team specifically which I am part of is incredibly interesting. Even though most of the people on the team have similar artistic backgrounds we all manage to keep it interesting with having fun as well as support each other's work. The beauty of working in an office like the SCCA is that people that work there are majoring in all different course subjects and still manage to have enough in common to have fun. You don’t go to work to clock in and out, you go to make people’s day and to play and oh boy do we play.

Working for the SCCA has helped me not only keep myself afloat and keep myself from transferring and leaving Rowan, it has brought me what I had been missing most while at Rowan, a family. Thank you SCCA for letting me be your family.