The Hardest Type of Goodbye

The Hardest Type of Goodbye

It usually isn't the one you think...

129
The Hardest Type of Goodbye
Caela McLaughlin

The hardest type of goodbye isn't usually the one anyone expects. It's not the type of goodbye that comes to a blowout fight. It's not the type of goodbye where it's a loud heartbreak, a huge disappointment. There aren't any fireworks or reasons to leave. There isn't even really much of a reason at all, except that it's just come to an end. The hardest type of goodbye is the one you never really thought would come. Yet, it's here, and it's quietly breaking your heart.

The hardest type of goodbye is the one where there isn't really a big reason or a good reason for it to end. The hardest goodbye is the one who silently breaks your heart because you just realize that you outgrew it. You realize that you have to let it go, but it hurts too much because you don't have any ill feelings or any real reason to walk away. Simple, it's just come to an end and it's time to see what else is out there for you.

There will be tears, but there won't be any fighting. There will be heartbreak, but with a slight smile, knowing that your heart isn't breaking because things are coming to an end. Your heart is breaking because you know you have to move on, and the thing you're leaving behind had shaped you in ways you never thought possible. It has been there for you. It has been a piece of who you have become. It never left you, it never hurt you, and it never made you feel like you had to leave. It's just no longer serving you in a way that you need it to and therefore, you have to let it go.

The hardest goodbye is the one that will always hold a place in your heart. It will always feel like home to you. It will always give you warm, positive memories when you think about it. It will never turn its back on you, and you know you could probably go back to it at any point, but that you shouldn't because both it and you deserve better. The hardest goodbye is the one you never saw coming. It hurts more than you'd like to admit, but knowing that it hurts this much gives you comfort because it meant so much to you.

This is the hardest goodbye. I've always come to an end with things where I don't want anything to do with it anymore. When I cut ties, I walk away and there really isn't any changing my mind. Odyssey has given me a safe space, a home for me and my writing and my thoughts for over three years, and although I don't really have a solidified reason, I feel I'm at a point where I have to put the pen down (figuratively) for now, focus on other areas of my life, and say goodbye. It has given me friends and a support system I never really thought I'd ever have, or, at the time, knew I needed. It's given me people who I adore - both in their writing and their words, and as individuals. It's time that I say goodbye. It's hard because I don't know what my writing outlet will be from now on, but I know that I'll find my words in a new home. I'll love this platform, my editor, my co-writers, and my friends for the rest of my life.

It's hard because I've loved writing an article, almost every single week, for over three years. Over 200 articles later, and over 70,000 page views on my articles, I'm saying goodbye.

My one last piece of advice for anyone out there, content creator or not, is to follow your dreams, follow your heart, and don't ever let anyone tell you 'no' or stand in the way of your dreams and what you want to do with your life. You deserve every dream you have, so go after it. No matter what.