10 Ways To Beat Seasonal Depression's Butt

10 Little Ways To Fight Seasonal Depression That Will Warm You Up Inside

Don't let the bitter cold keep you down.

125
https://picjumbo.com/wp-content/uploads/woman-standing-in-the-middle-of-the-park-in-snowy-weather_free_stock_photos_picjumbo_DSC02626-2210x1474.jpg

As the weather gets colder it's easy to fall into an emotional rut. Here's 10 ways to help fight those winter blues.

1. Try your best to stay warm

Personally, I get very crabby and irritable when I'm too cold. Try putting on that oversized sweater, a pair of fuzzy socks, and bundle up in your favorite blanket. Crank the heat if you can, if not, layer up! A warm you is a happier you!

2. Don't stay in bed all day

It can be incredibly tempting to stay curled up in bed all day, especially if you have a snow day (or a cold day thanks to the polar vortex hitting the Midwest right now). Sleep in by all means, but get up, make that bed and get dressed! You'll feel a lot better in the long run, even if that bed is calling your name.

3. Cross things off your "to-do" list

This is perfect if you have a snow day. Take advantage of your free time by doing those pesky little tasks you've been meaning to get around to. Personally, mine are always organizing my desk, doing laundry, or cleaning out my email inbox. Make a little list and check it off as you go.

4. Redesign your space

One of my favorite winter activities is redesigning my space. Whether that means moving furniture, hanging up new pictures, or even lighting a scented candle, I love refreshing my room by making some changes. Add some new throw pillows to your bed, hang up some lights, or move your desk. Whatever the case may be, a switch up might be exactly what you need.

5. Get as much sunshine as possible!

If it isn't too cold, try going for a short walk. If you'd rather not brave the chilly air, open your blinds and let as much sunshine flow in as possible. Staying in the dark isn't healthy and a few rays of sunshine might just make you feel a little better.

6. Start a new book

I'm sure we all have books that we've been meaning to read but just haven't gotten around to doing. It's easy to blame our busy lifestyles, but winter is a great opportunity to crack open a great read. Curl up with a cup of hot chocolate and start reading!

7. Don't let yourself be isolated

Winter makes it easier to feel this need to "hibernate" and be alone, and that's something that can fuel the depression fire. So instead of staying alone, grab some friends and go to a coffee stop. A warm latte and some laughs with friends can really help make a dreary winter day into some fun memories. Otherwise, try going ice skating, catch a movie, or maybe bowling.

8. Pamper yourself

One of my favorite ways to pamper myself in the winter is to take a long hot bath with lots of bubbles. Light a few candles, do a face mask, paint my nails and ta-da, I feel refreshed. Whatever "pampering" might mean for you, go do it! Use that new bath bomb, play with your makeup, or do your hair.

9. Try something new

This can be as simple as finding a new cookie recipe on Pinterest or starting a bullet journal (one of my favorites). Invite a friend over and play a new card game or visit a new restaurant. Try learning to knit or make a DIY craft. Winter doesn't have to be a boring routine.

10. Donate your time

It's common to see people working for the Salvation Army and soup kitchens during the holidays, but truth is, there are still lots of ways you can volunteer! Find places that are in need of a helping hand near you. Donating your time allows you to stay busy and brings a smile to another's face.