Sad Music Is The Key To Curing Sadness

Sad Music Is The Key To Curing Sadness

Get out your Sia playlist because it is time to get out of your funk.

52
Sad Music Is The Key To Curing Sadness
www.pexels.com

You may be the most upbeat and positive person, but you will feel sad from time to time. People always say that when you are sad or down you should do adventurous and positive activities: take a bath, go for a walk, or read. Everyone assumes that when you are sad you should listen to upbeat music, but that may not be the best choice to cure your sorrow.

Two researchers at the Freie Universität Berlin in Germany did a study that proved sad music helps people with sadness. They discovered sad music can bring peace, calmness and helps regulate negative emotions and moods. Pretty much: sad music brings up complex positive emotions.

For example, one of the most common effects of listening to sad music is it brings a sense of nostalgia, which means a sentimental longing or wistful affection for the past, typically for a period or place with happy personal associations. People that participated in the study said after listening to sad music, they felt a sense of peace and tenderness, which anyone who has been sad knows that isn't a bad thing. If something were to make us happier when we are down, who can complain about that?

Another study done by Psychology of Music showed that when teenagers listen to sad music it tends to help regulate their mood swings. I am a teenager and I must admit sad music does help with mood swings! Many teenagers I talked with about this subject also felt that when they are sad, sad music helps calm them down and lift up their mood. Sometimes we may feel weird listening to sad music when we are sad or maybe we have a sad playlist on Spotify, but in all actuality, it turns out that's not a bad thing.

The next time you are feeling sad, I say turn on that sad music playlist. My best recommendations would be "Breathe me" by Sia and "Unsteady" by X Ambassadors. No matter what, everyone is bound to get sad once in awhile so enjoy that sad muisc. Be willing to unlock those negative feelings with some sad music, you will feel better soon after!