Classical Music's Effect On Mood And Brain Function

2586
Portland Piano Co.

Research shows that the rhythm and tone of music are main contributing factors to its effect on mood. Hearts actually mimic the rhythms of particular pieces, so a fast beat yields excitement or anxiety, while a slow beat yields relaxation or ease. This relates to the way that our heartbeats increase when we are scared or elated, and decrease when we are tired or sad. The same goes for the key signature of the piece. Major keys tend to produce happier, sprightlier moods, and minor keys produce calmer, and more somber moods. The science of classical music's affect on the brain, too, has to do with serotonin uptake.

Not only does classical music have influence over mood, but it also helps promote the spatial-temporal performance of the brain, particularly through the music of Mozart. A study in 1993 showed that after listening to one of Mozart's sonatas for 10 minutes, mean spatial IQ scores were eight to nine points higher. This phenomenon is known as The Mozart Effect.

Altogether, classical music has a wide range of effects on humans. Incorporating it into everyday life can be an amazing medicine. In fact, music therapy is a legitimate profession. Many colleges and universities offer it as a major. Music therapy professionals utilize music to heal both physical and emotional struggles. So, below is a list of some upbeat and slow beat pieces to try out.

Upbeat:

1. Litolff: Scherzo from Concerto Symphonique #4

2. Tchaikovsky: Danse Russe, Swan Lake, Op. 20 (Act III) Violin Concerto

3. Rossini: The Thieving Magpie

Slow-beat:

1. Debussy: Clair de Lune

2. Satie: Gymnopédie No. 1

3. Beethoven: Moonlight Sonata