My partner, Ernesto, is one of the people who always has my back. We've known each other for over 10 years, and we started off as just friends. We have really grown up by each other's side and he's been there for my best moments and my worst ones. He can usually read my emotions pretty well, but I wanted to test out how well he really knows me. Here are twenty questions I asked him to see if he could respond correctly.
1. What's my favorite food?
Ernesto: White plain rice. Or tortillas.
Me: I would probably say my favorite food is a smoothie, but I know he'd say that's not real food.
2. What's one food I hate?3 green cucumbers on black wooden table Photo by Jonathan Pielmayer on Unsplash
Me: He's right. I hate a lot of things, but pickles are one of the ones I see no reason to even try. The smell alone is disgusting.
3. What's my favorite restaurant?
Ernesto: Right now, probably Bartaco.
Me: Yeah, I do really like Bartaco. It's where we got takeout from for my birthday this year.
4. What's one cause I really care about?
A cute pug I saw at a protest I attended.
5. Where was I born?
A dinner date with a rainbow in our city.
Me: Yes, Raleigh, NC, is where I was born.
6. Who is my absolute best friend?
Ernesto and Buster kayaking.
Ernesto: Buster, then me!
Me: HAHA, Buster is my dog.
7. What's my favorite thing about you?
Ernesto: My work ethic?
Me: What an Earth sign response. No, I honestly really love his eyes, his smile, and the little freckles across his nose. And I love the way he always has my back.
8. What is my dream job?
Ernesto: Pug breeder on a farm near the beach.
Me: No, I don't want to live on a farm, but I'd love to be a travel writer/photographer who lives by the beach and has a lot of pugs.
9. What's my favorite color?low angle photography of purple sky Photo by eberhard grossgasteiger on Unsplash
Ernesto: Black. Then pink ish?
Me: I can't blame him for thinking I love black because it's one of the only colors I wear. Right now, I'm having a lavender moment, and also really appreciating sage green and marigold.
10. What's one thing I'm really bad at?white and brown long coated small dog wearing blue and white polka dot shirt Photo by Karsten Winegeart on Unsplash
Ernesto: Not making faces when trying new things.
Me: Um, yeah. Breaking the habit of being a picky eater is really hard. I don't like trying new foods when I'm around people who don't know me well because it's hard to control my physical reactions.
11. What's one thing I'm really good at?Journaling Over Coffee Photo by Hannah Olinger on Unsplash
Me: I am always happy when other people tell me I write well.
12. What would you say is my greatest weakness?
Ernesto: You're too nice sometimes.
Me: I need to learn how to stand up for myself and not let people take advantage of me or a situation.
13. What would you say is my greatest strength?
Ernesto: You see the best in people.
Me: I thought this response was really sweet!
14. Who am I closest to in my family?
Me: Auntie is my maternal aunt, and this is right.
15. How did I get my name?
Ernesto: I don't know.
Me: I think it was just because they wanted something uncommon.
16. Who is my role model?
Ernesto: Aang from Avatar the Last Airbender.
Me: HAHA yes, I love that character so much. A lot of my role models are fictional characters. I also really like Mulan and Sailor Moon. Probably some of the biggest influences on me growing up.
17. What is my love language?
Me: I'd lean more towards quality time and words of affirmation.
18. What is my biggest regret?
Me: By this, he's referring to a semester that I failed because I was depressed and had too much going on in my life to be able to focus on my studies. I would say it's a regret. Not necessarily attending the school, and I did complete a certificate program there, but I do have a lot of regrets from that period in my life.
19. What is my greatest fear?silhouette of a woman with pink and purple sky Photo by Sasha Freemind on Unsplash
Ernesto: Being alone.
Me: I don't think necessarily being alone is the biggest fear, but I do fear rejection.
20. What is my biggest insecurity?person standing on white digital bathroom scale Photo by i yunmai on Unsplash
Ernesto: Your weight. Which you shouldn't feel insecure about.