Reasons Why It's OK To Rush A Sorority AFTER Freshman Year
Life Stages

Upperclassmen, You Should Feel Just As Comfortable Rushing As Any Freshman

With sorority recruitment underway, here are some tips for rushing as an upperclassmen!

228
sorority girls during recruitment
Jessie Gorman

Rush season is finally here! This year I am on the other side of it all as a recruiter. This comes as a surprise to most people because it is also my first year recruiting... even though I am a junior. I then have to go into the story behind why I rushed as a sophomore and that opens a bunch of other doors. I can still remember it like it was yesterday, all the questions and judgments that I got during my rush process for being a sophomore and not a freshman.

So, I've come up with some tips for anyone who decided to rush as an upperclassman and reasons why shouldn't feel like you're less wanted or amazing than any of the freshmen who are rushing with you!

1. Reasons why some girls don't rush as a freshman

Some people need a solid year at their college before they feel comfortable to add something new on their plate. College can be a big adjustment and some people just can't handle it all freshman year. Personally, I rushed sophomore year because I was a transfer student and didn't have the option to rush at my old school. I also knew that it would be a great way to get involved and make friends right off the bat!

2. Questions and comments that you WILL hear during rush

"Why did you wait... didn't you want to get the full experience and be in your sorority for four years?"

"Did you think you couldn't have handled it freshman year?"

"I have never recruited a sophomore..."

3. Why you SHOULD feel just as comfortable as any freshman rushing

Since I am still fresh from going through the rush process, I can still feel some of the discomfort that I felt throughout the process because I was a sophomore. Now being on the other side of it I want anyone rushing to feel comfortable even if you're not a freshman. All that matters are the personal qualities that you bring to the table and how you present yourself from house to house. If the fact that you aren't a freshman and that you didn't rush right away is a deal breaker for an organization, then they don't deserve to have you.

After wrapping up one weekend of recruitment, I was very happy to see multiple sophomores. Good luck to everyone with the whole rush process! Stay positive and put your best foot forward.