To Rush Or Not To Rush: That Is The Question

Greek life needs diversity, why not let that be you?

19
collegelifestyles.org

Another semester has dawned upon us: new classes, familiar faces, and the opportunity to rush and become a part of Greek life.

For many, joining a fraternity or sorority has always been a part of the ideal college experience. Some are among many in their families to become a part of a brotherhood or sisterhood. For others, through various events, such as Meet and Greek, themed parties, and black tie affairs, the decision to join became a done deal. The brothers and sisters of the various fraternities and sororities are what captivate prospective members to take the final step and decide to rush, and ultimately get a bid. For those who need a bit more convincing, here are few things to consider when deciding whether or not to rush.

1. Philanthropy

Greek organizations nationwide pride themselves on devoting countless hours to community service and hosting events that allow them to give back to a variety of deserving causes. Many brothers and sisters are already a part of community service groups on campus and extend their service to the fraternity or sorority, and they encourage and motivate others to join them. There is nothing better than giving back with friends.

2. Brotherhood/Sisterhood

The idea that “you pay for your friends” is a myth. Rushing and joining a Greek organization allows you to receive a firsthand experience in developing bonds and close friendships with people that become an extension of your family. They are an invaluable support system and great source of advice for the difficult college days. The four years you spend in college and beyond are setup to be filled with memories and adventures that you will never forget.

3. Networking

Being a member of a Greek organization opens up multitudes of networking opportunities that would not be available otherwise. You get the opportunity to constantly meet new people and learn about internships, fellowships, and job opportunities. Networking is a major key and having an amazing resource to get the ball rolling is extremely helpful.

4. Events

Associated with Greek life is a vibrant social scene that allows us to further enjoy our college years. From formals, to tailgates, to vacation trips, being a part of a fraternity or sorority allows us to push ourselves and have fun in an environment that is stressful the majority of the time.

While Greek life is not for everyone, it is important to keep an open mind. This is your chance to prove others wrong about negative stereotypes related to being in a sorority or fraternity. Not every brother is a hyper masculine male who throws footballs around all day, just like not every sister is obsessed with the color pink and painting her nails. Greek life needs diversity, why not let that be you?