You're In Your 20s, Why On Earth Would You Rush To Grow Up?

Everyone from my hometown is getting married and having kids, meanwhile, I just finished the whole series "Sex and the City" in two weeks.

683

Everyone in college is always talking on social media about how "everyone from their high school is getting married or having babies." When they say this, they are probably referring to the 2 or 3 people from their graduating class that got knocked up or randomly tied the knot. When I tell my friends the number of people from MY hometown getting married and having babies, they are shocked. I am not exaggerating when I say every week someone new is posting on Instagram or Facebook that they are pregnant or engaged. I can't even keep up with it anymore.

This could be because I come from a relatively small town surrounded by cornfields and not much to do other than hang out at the local McDonald's. However, this is one trend I just can't get behind.

I understand we are at the age where we are starting to become adults in the real world. We need to start paying our own bills, making our own doctor appointments and doing our own grocery shopping. All that good stuff. I guess I just missed the part where this meant it was also time to buy our own house, move in with our boyfriends, and start having kids? While it is true that we are getting older, we are still so young. At the ages of 20 and 21, we should be worried about passing accounting and what parties we are going to this weekend, not what our wedding dress is going to look like.

We have our entire lives to be married, have kids, and have a career. We only have a limited window to be on our own and do all the fun things that make us happy, before we have to do the things that make our kids and our spouses happy as well.

Our early 20's are not a competition of who can grow up the fastest and act the most mature. It should be a time of fun and excitement where we let loose a little before we really do have to become real adults and put the college days behind us. I guess that mindset is not the same for everyone, but that is just one thing I won't understand.

I can't even wake up before 10:30 a.m. unless I have to. There is no way I could stay up all night with a crying baby, nor would I want to. I could never cook for a whole family, I just learned how to make grilled cheese last year. I could never live with a significant other, my clothes and shoes take up my entire room as it is. But this is how it should be, at least for a few more years.

Overall, I don't understand the rush to grow up and I will never agree with it. I understand that sometimes we are forced to grow up faster and it is not always by choice. Those that are choosing to race to the wedding dresses, however, are likely to go through a midlife crisis at age 30 if you ask me.

This is a confusing time in our lives no doubt. There are those starting families and buying houses and there are those that can't make it home from the fraternity down the road without throwing up in a bush. No matter what lifestyle you choose to lead at this age, it is not easy for anyone. Sometimes we all need to step back, take a deep breath, and just smile.