RomComs are like the worse fairy tale

Princess stories, specifically Disney princess stories made me sick as a kid. Don't get me wrong, I was excited every time we got a new movie in the mail (we were in the Disney movie club), but when I saw the same damsel in distress and some "Prince Charming" coming to save the day it made me sick.

I was always told that women could do the same things men can do. Before I knew what feminist, I was one. I never needed a man to save me, when half the time, the men were the ones hurting me: not all men, but the men in my life.

As an adult, I have realized how much I loved Rom-Coms until a conversation with a friend made me realize the bullshit involved. Many of them tell you that breaking a relationship to go after the man of your dreams is ok. Lying about who you are to "get your man" is ok. A man threatening to hurt themselves unless you date them – is ok.

Rom-Coms are not reality. You can love someone and realize that it's ok to walk away from them. Sometimes love is not enough. Women cut their hair, wear makeup and dress up for themselves, not for attention.

Do I believe there is someone for everyone? No. I don't. I believe there are people who don't want relationships and others who will die without knowing how love is. Not real love. There are also people who will die thinking someone would eventually change for them.

Life should be about being happy and living life in a way that makes you happy. Faking a relationship for family members who judge you for being single is not ok. Tell them to mind their business or don't go to the family gathering.

Sometimes the prince needs saving. Sometimes the princess is the hero, it seems Disney has caught up, but romance movies haven't. I understand that there are situations where people fall in love like this, but I would like to see romance movies where the girl or guy decides they love themselves more.