Roles Of A Best Friend
"As soon as I saw you, I knew an adventure was going to happen." Winnie the Pooh.

Being a best friend and having a best friend are two very important things in life. There are many different roles that a best friend plays, and when you have someone in your life that has all of these characteristics, you are pretty lucky. A best friend is someone you can be the goofiest version of yourself with, and then you can turn around and have the deepest conversation. Best friends are people who stand by you in the midst of trouble and in the excitement of triumph.

The open ear. Having someone who listens to you in times of trouble is so important. By taking the time to listen, they allow you to be vulnerable which is a necessary in any meaningful relationship. Bottling up feelings and emotions is not healthy for anyone. By having the open ear quality, your best friend listens and tries to understand what you are upset about. They provide advice and encouragement you would not have gotten, otherwise.

The joker. I am a firm believer in the saying, “Laughter is the best medicine.” When you are in a bad mood, or just feeling down, it's great to have a best friend who can make you laugh.. 

Shoulder to cry on. Freshman year of college, I went through some rough patches. From pets passing away to just wanting to be with my family, I definitely shed more tears than I expected. Having my best friend with me helped me get through those rough situations. Even if she did not know what to say, she was there to let me cry and to help dry my tears. This is probably one of the most important qualities to look for in a best friend. When your best friend is by your side even if nobody else is, they are someone you will have by your side for the rest of your life.

Future maid of honor. To all you guys reading this, I know you cannot completely relate to this one, but that is okay. Just pretend as though I said future best man. I am almost 20 years old, so I  am not ready for marriage quite yet. Clearly, I do not have a groom in mind, but my maid of honor is already decided. You probably have had someone in particular in the back of your mind while reading this article. This person has seen you at your worst and at your best. They have stood by your side for however many years, so it is only fitting that they will be standing by your side on your wedding day. 

The one who holds you accountable. Having a best friend who will lift you up, instead of pull you down, is something a lot of people overlook. If your best friend is not honest with you when you make a mistake so you can work through the consequences, then how can they be called your best friend? It is so important to have people in your life who love and support even though you're not perfect. Best friends are there to help you fix something you do wrong and celebrate with you when you do something right.