Reverse Seasonal Affective Disorder?

Reverse Seasonal Affective Disorder?

Some people's depression symptoms become apparent in the fall and wintertime, but can the same be said moving into Spring?

3
Reverse Seasonal Affective Disorder?

SAD, or Seasonal Affective Disorder, is very common among people who deal with depression. There are over 3 million cases per year in the US and the symptoms are, as stated, seasonal ranging from fall through the winter seasons. That being said, what about those of us that deal with the opposite? Are there those that deal with depression symptoms going into the Springtime?

For myself personally, this has been something of a reoccurrence in the past couple of years. After winter passes, I feel less motivated to do things I enjoy, more agitated with doing tasks like school-work, isolating myself more away from my friends, and overall just unhappy for days on end. I'd say I'm way more upbeat, during fall and winter because of football season and holidays I spend with my family so the latter months of the year I associate as being the better part of the year. This article from Psychology Today, explains the concept of Reverse SAD (Seasonal Affective Disorder) and the possibility of too much sunlight in the warmer months leading to changes in melatonin production. It goes on to say that Reverse SAD individuals feel more manic depression rather than regular SAD individuals who normally lack energy, which I found to be very interesting as someone who can be very manic. One day I'll be all over the place and then in the next few days, I won't leave my room.

I think it's important to highlight the different types of depression across the board like SAD and Reverse SAD. Just because one type is at a much larger capacity than another doesn't devalue either one of them. People still deal with their troubles just like everyone else and their feelings are all valid no matter how many people deal with it or not.